TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed a coolant leak coming from the crankshaft pulley. Or at least accumulating and dripping from there. I thought it was maybe from the upper section of the lower radiator hose, but it's not. I looked real good with a flashlight and it seems to be coming from the engine side of this in a groove. Can anyone tell me what work would be involved in fixing this?
I think it may be time to finally get rid of the car. I've had it since 1991. It's my only car.
OK, just looked better at my pic. I guess it's not the pulley. It's that part behind the pulley

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
There is no coolant near the crank pulley, so it isn't possible for it to be leaking there. What is most likely happening is you have a bad water pump, which is leaking and dripping down onto the crank pulley. It could possibly be a timing cover gasket as well, but my bet is on the water pump.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you MadMikeyL. I didn't think there was any coolant there. But I wasn't sure. I bet it's the timing cover because there was an issue with it a few years ago when I bought a new engine. The cover was damaged and the mechanic fixed it and put it on the new engine. I guess after a few years, it finally failed.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Thank you MadMikeyL. I didn't think there was any coolant there. But I wasn't sure. I bet it's the timing cover because there was an issue with it a few years ago when I bought a new engine. The cover was damaged and the mechanic fixed it and put it on the new engine. I guess after a few years, it finally failed.
Before you say "timing cover"; the water pump has a weep hole on the bottom for when the front seal fails, and that's the most common source of "coolant dripping from the balancer!" out there.

I would carefully slip a mirror or borescope in where the weep hole is and verify it's not wet THERE. Bonus points if you can't quite get the mirror in, but a drop of coolant splats it before you can verify :grin2:

The timing chain cover also passes coolant through to the pump, so there's a possibility there; but THOSE leaks typically coat the front of the block and cylinder heads, not the balancer.

RwP

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The leak stopped right after my first post on this topic, however, I'm sure it will reoccur. It hasn't been back yet since Oct 6 and I drive it every day. That is until now. As of this afternoon, it won't start. I'm pretty sure it needs a new starter (easy and cheep). However, I have no interest in fixing or keeping the car. I'd like to sell it real cheap and get it off the property. Check the for sell section. I have a 2018 Camry now and I'm done with old cars.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
*wistful* I wish a) I had the money, b) I was close enough, and c) I had a place to store it.

Pam (my wife) needs a better looking Cougar to cat around town in; I can't currently afford the final body work or the paint.

RwP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts