TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I've recently noticed that I've got a slight coolant leak from my intake manifold, around the temperature sensor on the left side. I remember reading way back when about leaking coolant crossover tubes, but mine was never an issue until now. I'm assuming this means I need a new intake manifold. Next question, are the updated ones even available anymore, or is this going to be a junkyard type job? If so, it might be worth doing the PI head swap while I'm at it. It's not losing a noticeable amount of coolant yet, but I doubt it's going to fix itself, and I don't dare put a wrench on that sensor to try tightening it. I'd imagine the plastic is fairly brittle, being 24 years old. And it's probably leaking between the metal fitting and the plastic anyways, so tightening the sensor won't help. It's definitely worth fixing, it's a rust free car that's only got about 60,000 miles on it.

Kristian

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,617 Posts
The only updated ones you can get are aftermarket Dorman replacements, but you can still buy OEM new PI manifolds with the aluminum crossover. If you go this route you don’t need PI heads, just use PI gaskets and dab RTV at the coolant passage edges that don’t align. If you swap in PI cams you’ll make the same power, and with only 60,000 miles it’s almost a sin to crack open a 4.6 that fresh.

Beautiful car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had thought a good part of the power increase with the PI heads was from the increased compression, good to know that the cams and intake can make a good difference, don't need to run premium then. That's kind of nice for a daily driver with the price of fuel now. I guess the intake and cams I want will be for a 99-04 mustang? Been a while since I've looked into any of this stuff, I had the car stored away since 2010 and just got it on the road again this spring. I remember reading something about Ford fixing leaking intake manifolds back in the day, might be funny to call and ask if they're still doing that.
Kristian

·
Registered
47 Posts
I figured that all the plastic crossovers were cracked and long gone by now. Congrats! The second Ford manifold I had was from the "recall". 1999 ish. It lasted a few months... Be curious to hear what they say when you call up to claim that recall in 2020! Your car looks great!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts