TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished installing a new tranny in my brothers 97. I parked the car in my driveway for the last 2 days, which is on an angle. Actually if you look at my picture gallery you can see said car in said driveway. I digress, So i went out today to finish installing the tranny cooler. I find 2 stains on the drivway under the car. one under the tranny looking like its coming from the torque convertor. amd another dripping from the driver side catalytic convertor. So I'm getting a litte upset. Log story short its coolant. Not tranny fluid or oil.
Why is coolant coming from the back of the engine? I cant see anything obvious. the car runs quite well. No visible leaks.
Another tccoa member in Nevada looked at it with me tonight. He suggested that it might be the coolant tube that goes under the intake, or the little piece of hose that attaches to it.

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for any help! :D

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
It could be that tube, the intake, or even a freeze plug on the back of the engine or the heads. Basically, you'll need to trace it to the source.

-Rod

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Pressure test it and as soon as it hits around 10-12 psi it will start leaking.Best way to find it if ya ask me.I found 2 leaks in my cooling system using a pressure tester.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill have to try the pressure test. I'm starting to think its the intake. Its the original all plastic intake. I can see wetness under the intake when i look behind the alternator. As well it only drips when its sits on an angle. I left it level all night, not a drop. Put it in the driveway this morning and it dripped some.

·
Registered
836 Posts
make sure you check your top radiator hose also. with the engine warm squeeze the tube and see if any fluid comes out at the thermostat. on mine the factory clamp wasnt tight enough and would pour coolant out when hot. easy dollar fix for me. just another thing to check though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts