TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bird is a '96 with the pressure relief cap on the overflow tank. I lose fluid through this cap and I know I will have to test that to assure 16 psi. I suppose I could be losing fluid because the head gasket is leaking allowing compression and power stroke to put pressure on the fluid and push it out the overflow tank but it doesn't seem to do this every time I drive it. I do experience rough performance when I first start up and I continue to get the code 133 - slow response from oxygen sensor - which could be coolant contamination on the sensor (I had to have my intake manifold replaced not long ago and this started happening right after).

That's a long winded way to get to my question: how does the overflow tank work on these jewels? There must be some device that allows the pressure to build to some desired level before the pressure cap on the overflow tank is pressurized. I know that the system is designed to run pressurized such the the boiling point is raised, but I'm also sure that when that pressure is reached it is not supposed to dump coolant out of the overflow tank. My official Ford manual ($100 worth; sense the frustration :mad: ) does not describe this setup.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts