TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the car up and everything was running smooth and sounding very beastly! The only thing I saw that was wrong is coolant was squirting out of the coolant cover where the thermostat is. I'm thinking I installed wrong or I need a gasket? HELP!

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
What do you need ? The o ring is like 2 dollars at any auto parts store .

I have a brand new one at home . BTW I have swapped thermostats and re used the old o ring without a leak twice .Thats why I have a new one that I never used.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok this is going to sound really bad, but what is the order in which you install the thermostat with the o-ring and cover?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
o-ring? mine has a gasket, but i have a 3.8. do they make o-rings for the 3.8? sorry but i've never heard of an o-ring on a thermostat

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Order of installation, the o-ring goes on top of the thermostat, installed after the thermostat is in the intake.

Bottom = coolant crossover on intake manifold
next UP = thermostat
next UP = o-ring
top = water neck that upper radiator hose connects to

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yes, the big O ring goes top of the thermostat, not under it.

There isn't a paper/fiber/ whatever flat gasket, no, just the O ring.

4.6<>3.8

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snap! I know what I did wrong...I put the O ring under (before) the thermostat.:eek:

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
so the o-ring will not work w/ the 3.8? i ask because every damn time i pull it out it leaks when i put it back. i have to make it so tight that i'm kinda scared of breakin off a bolt.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
totally different setup. The water neck on the 4.6 has a tapered part that goes in the opening, the O ring goes on top of the thermostat, and that taper is what seals with the O ring. The flat spot on top of the coolant crossover where the thermostat goes doesn't come in contact with the bottom of the neck, so there is no flat to flat contact for a gasket, like there is with the 3.8.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
ahhh, i gotcha. the housing look very similar, minus the humongo bolt holes in the 4.6 one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts