TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... Question for ya'll

I noticed a strange occurance....

Coolant in the resiviour has not moved or altered for days, it is stationary at the "HOT" level marker (even when the engine is cooled down and unused for over 3 days!)

Coolant in the radiator mysteriously dissappears every now and then, so i pop the cap and fill 'er up to par.

When the engine is running, the hoses seem to have the proper amount of pressure, and there are no visible leaks.

I have also cleaned the electrical terminals that connect to the top of the resivour.

What I am guessing, and it's just a guess, is there is some sort of blockage in the little hose that goes from the bottom of the resiviour to the top of the radiator (near the cap).

Can anybody please offer some input and assistance in this matter. I was suggested that I could have blown a head gasket, but I was told by another source that when that happens white smoke comes out of the exhaust... that has not happened at all. I haven't had the time to take the car to the shop, so i've just been using my second car.

All help is appreciated!!

Oh yeah, specs just in case: 97, 3.8L v6, 130k miles.

Thanks,
~Doug

·
Registered
510 Posts
Well, my 94 taurus 3.8 did the same thing. It was the head gasket. It took a couple months to blow. Start the car early in the AM & see if alot of dripping is comming from the tail pipe. Good luck

cup

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
For the cooling system to work properly, it must be able to function at up to 18 lbs pressure when hot, and hold a vucuum as it cools down, and the water contracts. When the water contracts, it drops the pressure enough to allow the radiator cap to pass water from the over flow (surge tank) to go back into the radiator keeping it full, and keeping air out.

Any leak in the system will disrupt this action. First thing to do is check the over flow and tube to the top of the radiator. Look at the clamp at the hose end next to the radiator cap, and get a new SCREW type clamp for it. Now, remove the clamp, and lightly blow through it. You should see/hear air bubbling in the over flow. If not, you found your problem. If that is ok, make sure the radiator is full, put a new radiator cap on it, and the new hose clamp on the over flow line. Now drive it and let to get it up to temp, then park it, check water level in the over flow, and allow it to completely cool till next day. look at the over flow to see if has dropped. If so, the radiator should be full to the cap. If the level did not drop, the radiator will not be full, and you have a leak in the system some place.

Any leak in system, radiator hoses, water pump bushings, heater manifold lines, intake to head leaks, heads, head gaskets, will cause the process to not work. If you still have a problem after you have checked the over flow and hose, and put a new clamp on it, take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure test your cooling system. They use a tool that connects to the radiator like a cap, but has a gauge on it, and apply air to about 20 lbs pressure. They can see if it drops, and look for water coming out of the leak. if you have to go this far, I hope it is a visible exterior leak, Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts