TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
It's a centrifugal pump; the inside is always low pressure.

It kinda "throws water out from the center" by rotating, like puke from a merry-go-round. :)

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

It kinda "throws water out from the center" by rotating, like puke from a merry-go-round. :)
Gross... Even grosser because I did that once; puked all over bystanders ..... and my date sitting next to me :eek:. Hey, I was like 16 and some of those dang rides make me sick! :zpuke::xpcry:

BTW, thank you for the nostalgia Grog6 LOL

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So it actually kinda throws coolant down the coolant tube? so the coolant is actually flowing away from the water pump? Or was the original answer correct?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
So it actually kinda throws coolant down the coolant tube? so the coolant is actually flowing away from the water pump? Or was the original answer correct?
Thanks.
Low pressure always sucks and that pump nipple is in the middle (the low pressure area). So it sucks out of the tube, so the original is correct, it flows towards the water pump.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Low pressure always sucks and that pump nipple is in the middle (the low pressure area). So it sucks out of the tube, so the original is correct, it flows towards the water pump.
Awesome, thanks, I was trying to visualize where the nipple was in relation to the pump.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question.

Does ALL of the coolant return through the coolant tube, or is there also another route inside the block?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Does ALL of the coolant return through the coolant tube, or is there also another route inside the block?
No, not all the water is circulated through the coolant tube. That tube is only used when the heat is turned on and hot water is flowing through the passenger compartment heat exchanger (heater core). I don't know where the heater control valve is located, but I'm sure there is one! lol

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Gross... Even grosser because I did that once; puked all over bystanders ..... and my date sitting next to me :eek:. Hey, I was like 16 and some of those dang rides make me sick! :zpuke::xpcry:

BTW, thank you for the nostalgia Grog6 LOL
so you and your date were on the merry go round at 16 yrs old...so that means your first kiss was when, 25? lol :tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
so you and your date were on the merry go round at 16 yrs old...so that means your first kiss was when, 25? lol :tongue:
Just cracking ourselves up, aren't we? :D Technically, it was one of those fast circular rides, I don't remember the name - Cobra or something?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Just cracking ourselves up, aren't we? :D Technically, it was one of those fast circular rides, I don't remember the name - Cobra or something?
all newbs think everything they ride is a cobra...freudian slip :tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
5,650 Posts
No, not all the water is circulated through the coolant tube. That tube is only used when the heat is turned on and hot water is flowing through the passenger compartment heat exchanger (heater core). I don't know where the heater control valve is located, but I'm sure there is one! lol
:confused: Can't tell if you were joking with the "lol" at the end, but there is indeed not any kind of heater control valve. Coolant flow is constant through that tube.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
:confused: Can't tell if you were joking with the "lol" at the end, but there is indeed not any kind of heater control valve. Coolant flow is constant through that tube.
Really? Well, that means the heater core stays hot all the time. How does that work? Because that coolant tube goes to/for the heater core I know for sure. :zdunno:

Anyways, here's a couple of quick diagrams I found (one from a Crown Vic site and one from a Mustang site):

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I see my issue......
I have done the PI intake swap on both of my 97's, and on both of them I used 5/8 i.d. water hose instead of the PI coolant tube.
One of the cars is fine, but the other one, I mashed the gas to the floor, and it blew the hose that goes from the intake manifold to the heater core. I pulled the intake off last night, and the hose I substituted for the coolant tube was squished at the bottom of the valley. I will replace the hose, and try to keep it tucked to the drivers side.....

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
That's right. It's hot all the time. It only puts out hot air when you turn the fan on. :)
... and when you turn the temperature knob (or the temp selector) up so the blend door directs the air over it.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
There is no heater control valve required in line with the heater hoses on our hvac systems due to the design of the blend door, coolant flows unrestricted through the heater core at all times with our cars. That is why some people have put inlet flow restrictors on their heater lines to reduce coolant surge through them and prolong their life.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts