TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so Coming Home From The Car Show This Morning I Noticed SOme Smoke Coming From The Hood. So I Go And Get Some More Coolent, Thinking It Was Just Low. After I Fill Her Up, I Drive Home With The Same Problem Persisting. After Investigation I Find The Leak

Passenger Side Passage Just Below The T-stat. I Dont Have The Funds ForAan Intake Swap PresentY. Is There Anything I Can Do To Patch It? RTV?

·
Registered
134 Posts
you can try epoxy as a temporary fix, but now you need to save for a proper fix.

·
Registered
134 Posts
get something like gorilla glue, or other high temp epoxy. rtv might do well for a while, but it really wasnt designed to handle sealing a crack where there is pressure, unless you are also talking about using the rtv between parts and using the pressure of torque to aid sealing. epoxy tends to be more permanent, as well as resistant to a variety of chemicals that frequent that area.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
None of those will work. The system is under pressure, so it will find its way pat any epoxy or glue or RTV. A dorman intake can be had for $200. Just bite the bullet and replace the intake now before you overheat the motor and cost yourself more.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
Wait, I'm confused. I thought you were talking about a 96/97 intake with the plastic coolant crossover leaking. I've never seen a 94/95 intake crack or leak, and I'm trying to figure out what passage you are talking about, but maybe you just need intake gaskets?

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
If it is just the gasket that is leaking, that is a cheap fix. New gaskets should be about $20, and changing them out takes about 4 hours. You may even be able to save some time by not removing the intake completely, just remove the alternator, unbolt the intake, and lift it up enough to slide the old gaskets out and new ones in.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Ya sealing from the outside is never going to work, invest in the gaskets, you would have anywhere from $10-15 in rtv anyways

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I have intake gaskets if you need a set. Never been used.

RTV or epoxy isn't going to get you anywhere. Also, it'd be very helpful if you post a good picture of the leak so we can see exactly where it's coming from. You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,524 Posts
Nope.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
x2. Nope. Black_Cat ran his without a tune for quite a while.

·
Super Moderator
9,524 Posts
To clarify, the MAF sensor will account for the extra air entering the engine. The only "difference" in a tune which having the PI intake vs. the non-PI intake would prompt is a minute difference in intake volume scalars, which would have an effect on transient fueling.

·
Super Moderator
9,524 Posts
Lack of power might be in the lower RPM. The PI intake loses a few HP in the sub-3000 RPM range.

Transient fueling is essentially how the computer predicts how much fuel to deliver to the cylinders in situations where the MAF sensor has not yet reacted to changes in airflow at the intake valve.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts