TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem maybe one of you can help. The coolent level keeps dropping in my 95 XR7 4.6. But it is slow, when I fill it back up it takes about 2 weeks for the light to come back on. I cannot find any leaks. The motor is dry and so is my driveway. This is driving me nuts please help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Worst case scenereo...what's your oil look like?? If when you change it and there is a bit of antifreeze that comes out first, well that's where it's going. Otherwise, a bit less severe, what's the front of your waterpump look like? Mine was leaking from the pump, but hardly ever showed on the ground. I would be putting half gallon to a gallon in every week or two.

Joe

·
Banned
998 Posts
Or it could be that your intake manifold may have a small hairline crack...be sure to monitor your fluid level and your temp gauge.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have the same problem in my 95 XR7. It was one of the reasons that I decided to rebuild my engine at 166K. I had the intake off to do some EGR work and cleaning. I knew my coolant was going somewhere over time, but not sure where. I did see some intake gasket damage around the coolant passages where the intake and the head join, but I wasn't sure if it was caused during removal.

I decided to pull the suspected head (possible head gasket problem), but I found no clues there.

Anyway, to make a long story short, after rebuilding the engine, the coolant still disappears! It's not as frequent now, I've added coolant 3 times in 9 months. I used to have to add it every 2 months, so it has slowed a bit, but not all that much.

I don't have any signs of coolant in my oil.

One of the other reasons I decided to rebuild my engine was that I had standing coolant in the passenger bank's last two spark plug bores. I haven't checked them since the rebuild....hold on...I'll go check now...nope...bores are not showing any signs of coolant now.

I don't know where it's going....I suppose it's possible that it could be overflowing when at temp. and over time it just gets low. Beats me, but I was never having a problem with the way the engine ran (Except for the EGR codes and poor gas mileage) before the rebuild or after.

I guess I would just recommend looking for performance problems or signs of coolant leaks. In the meantime, just keep adding!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts