TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an apten chip for my 97 4.6, and I was wondering if the cooler spark plugs (ASWF-22c, i think) and the 180 thermostat make any differnece in performance. Can I get the thermostat from a NAPA store? but is it even worth the trouble? I can't imagine that it'll do much.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not having a 4.6 I would imagine that it's one fo those things that doesn't make a seat of the pants differance, but is beter for your engine.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
i think its more for the advanced timing....leaning the mixture out...less fuel to cool the pistons means that stuff just needs to run on a colder level...that or the advanced timing

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I finally put colder plugs and a stat in my car after having the chip in for a few months. I changed the plugs b/c it was running rough and I thought it would be a good time to do that and then I changed the stat when I put a new water pump in. It doesn't make any difference in the seat o meter as far as I can tell, unless mine's broken, but the new stat and chip really cool the coolant down. I used to run about midway on my temp gauge, probably between the R and M in NORMAL, now it never gets to the N. And yes, it's good for the engine to run a little cooler. The colder plugs let you go a little further with timing so you can run a little pepier gas if I'm right in that (?)

Joe

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Well when I first got my Apten chip, I had my stock T-Stat and plugs in while running 93 octane. Well the car pinged terribly!

So I got one step colder plugs and a 180* T-Stat and all was well!

I think they are more of a precationary for detonation. They recommend you use colder plugs and a 180* T-Stat, so why not?

Only cost me aboy 15 bux for the stuff and took about 20 minutes to install.

Oh and the car definatly runs cooler, especially in colder climates.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
FWIW: My car continued to ping after installing an Apten chip. Brian (of Apten) recommended going one step colder with the plugs, and that helped quite a bit. He also programmed the chip to use the 180° thermostat set-up, and the engine runs noticably cooler...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts