TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cooler weather is my friend!!!

A cold front blew into S. Florida yesterday.

It was Wednesday, so I headed for Test 'n' Tune....

It was about 70 degrees when I ran this:

Bummer -- I broke out ......:D

I ran a few more 13.8's .. I guess I can put my seats and subwoofer back in.... of course it's supposed to be high 80's this weekend...

Humidity was over 85%... and low pressure, but that's pretty much standard here

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dayum! Nice MPH! I've seen those #'s from an auto WS6 that I ran against in my '88!

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Good job Mike :thumbsup:

I wanted to go Wednesday once I saw what the weather was like. To bad I was in the middle of driving my dad to Vero Beach to pick up his new truck. I'm gonna try and keep my Wednesdays and Fridays open for a while incase of more cool weather! I saw in another post that FLABIRD ran a new best of 14.1, I assume that was on the same night as your new best...congrats to you too Rob :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks Aaron- It was cool! we had a good night. :cbones:

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
FLABIRD said:
Thanks Aaron- It was cool! we had a good night. :cbones:
Rob do you still have that Flowmeister cat back for sale? my flows have rust holes and i plan to get dynomax race mags, i would have the money in about 1-2 weeks.

joseph

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yup- they're magnaflow $75/ the system was on the car 6 months.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Yeah..good air is really nice....I actually got free from work early enough to hit the track last night...It was around 65 degrees and 60% humidity when I made this pass.Also ran a couple of 13.5x's,and a handful of 13.6x's.

JL

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Johnny,

Great times.... gotta love those NPI's and Kooks, huh??? Shave any more time, and you'll be investing in a roll bar. You might just need one for Atlanta...

Looks like the N/A bracket might be pretty interesting at SSHS. Is Dan still N/A? Is he in the 12's yet?? Who else is coming???

Now I gotta figure out how to whack .4 off in that mid range ...;) :D

·
3,232 Posts
11.99 is the NHRA et requiring a rollbar,and it's 11.49 at an IHRA track.Dan has an SVO blower now,and he's not gonna make SSHS3,and it's not looking good for me right now either.
JL

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure hope you can work it out to come up to Atlanta. It should be pretty cool and dry up there....

·
Registered
965 Posts
The cool weather finally made it to the Mid Atlantic area too:

My best run was the 13.66 and was done spinning the tires off the line about 1.5-2 revolutions. I need to get my lockup schedule either changed or turn it off all together as the tripple disc bogs the motor when it locks up. If I get those 2 things straight, remove my sub woofer and a get set of skinnies up front I know I can squeeze a 13.5x out of it.

After that, port and polish these stock PI heads.......

·
Registered
210 Posts
Kick A$$ what kind of T/C do you have? Man thats quick!

·
Registered
965 Posts
It's a PI Stallion 3k rpm stall. If you planning on staying N/A I would get the single disc lockup. I'm not, so I got the tripple disc which while ideal for those with power adders, is a tad bit much for a n/a application IMHO.

My last run before this weekend was with a Mark 8 converter and was a 14.12. It was warmer and more humid that day too, so I figure I can attribute 2/10's to the weather and 3/10's to the converter. I would STRONGLY recomend a 3k or higher stall converter to anyone with a PI or P&P NPI engines.

·
3,232 Posts
Eric Z. said:
It's a PI Stallion 3k rpm stall. If you planning on staying N/A I would get the single disc lockup. I'm not, so I got the tripple disc which while ideal for those with power adders, is a tad bit much for a n/a application IMHO.

My last run before this weekend was with a Mark 8 converter and was a 14.12. It was warmer and more humid that day too, so I figure I can attribute 2/10's to the weather and 3/10's to the converter. I would STRONGLY recomend a 3k or higher stall converter to anyone with a PI or P&P NPI engines.
I agree on the stall speed,but not on the lockup clutch.I've got a single disc,and I'm slipping the lockup clutch after 2-3 passes when the fluid gets good and warm.When that happens my times slip back down the 13.6x-13.7x's.
JL

·
Registered
965 Posts
It may be a case of danged if I do and darned if I don't. It really feels like my converter locking up slows the acceleration of my car even if only for a split second. Perhaps my SOTP meter is on the fritz again.... wouldn't be the first time. I don't recall ever slipping the Mark converter, but then again, I'm not putting down near as much torque as you and/or my SOTP meter didn't catch it slipping......

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a single disc and I get lockup right after shift at WOT in 2nd and 3rd and actually feel a slight burst of acceleration when it locks up, almost like mini down shift. I race a PI bird pretty regularly and with the dial-in, lotsa times we're neck 'n' neck, but when I lockup, I pull away in 2nd and 3rd. We both can see it happen...

My problem right now is I'm shifting at 5900 and spending too long wheezing before the shift... I need to shift sooner (maybe 5650) or get her to breath a little longer...

I've got a plan to uncork the intake, but I'm waiting for parts. I'm putting some cams in within a week or so, but not sure if they will help or hurt with the intake corked up as it is.. we'll see...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts