TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am pretty good with this cooling stuff, i concider myself almost an expert with it. However, i still want to get some opinions on this.

Yeterday I was coming back from the beach I drove the car dto the beach which took about 2 1/2 hours cause there was traffic, (normally takes an hour) anyway, the traffic was very slow at times alot of the time. The temperature outside was about 95-100% and humid. The car was fine on the way down, even in the traffic, I had no A/C on.

I parked the car all day when i got down there, it was sitting in the sun for about 5 hours in the hot weather. Then at about 4:30am I drove back home, I was driving at 100mph for only a few minutes n( there was nobody on the road). Then this jeep kept on messing with me, So I was driving 1000mph on and off for about 20-30 min, At times i would hit 110mph, and at times i would drive for about 5 minutes doing 100mph, After deciding to slow down when the jeep finally took an exit, i saw my "check gauges" light flash for a split second, and i saw the temp gauge past the M in Norm...it was half way between M and H, but it went back to normal after a second, and it did it again and then went down really quick. I never had the A/C on. It was an hour drive. i've driven this fast before and this never happened, the only difference is that i have never driven like that for that amount of time, only for short 2 - 5 minutes on a short trip.

As i stopped in a parking lot , I reved the engine to see if i could get it to that temp again, I Did. So i opened the hood and I had enough coolant (I always put exactly 50/50 mixture, I mix it myself), and the fan was working at both speeds and the water pump looked fine and i didn't see any leaks, the top radiator hose was hot. I have a after market Griffin Aluminum rad, with a 28 GVW tranny cooler located in front of it, which could be blocking some air inflow, but never gave me a problem before.

Any ideas, sorry for the long post, all ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated
Thanks
Beirutsfinest

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's doesn't sound too odd to me. If I get on it (floor it) a few times and get up to 80+ the temp gauge will move to the R-M area. If I stay at it and get to 100+ she'll sit in the M area for awhile....even after I slow down to normal speeds. So since you where in the 100+ area for awhile this seems normal to me, go cruse around tomarrow and she if she acts normal. If so I wouln't worry about it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
i would worry about it!!!!

dude that sounds like head gaskets dude, when my car blew the head gaskets my temp gauge would do that, go up, and then down, up and then down in a split second, so dude check your oil for coolant and check your exhaust for white smoke. Im not saying it is your head gaskets but hey im giving you and idea.

Marvin M.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,785 Posts
BeirutsFinest said:
So I was driving 1000mph on and off for about 20-30 min!
Really! I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet. Keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts