TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What turns the cooling fan on? My fan has been tested and both speeds work, but it doesn't come on when the car warms up. Is there a relay or switch that controls it?

96 3.8L

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No we did not use a scanner. We just ran the car and noticed that the fan never came on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You need to verify that the coolant is actually getting up to temperature. My thermostat was weak and there was enough water pressure to keep it open and the car never got up to temperature. I replaced the thermostat and it works great now. If you are getting up to temperature and the fan is still not coming on then I would replace the coolant temp sensor, they are relatively cheap if I remember correctly.

·
5,650 Posts
No we did not use a scanner. We just ran the car and noticed that the fan never came on.
Well then you don't really know anything about whether it's working right or not. Depending on ambient temperature and other factors, the car can run without the fan coming on at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked with a scanner and saw temps up to 210 so I shut the car off. Where is the coolant temp sensor located?
Thanks,
Ron

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I belive its on the crossover tube on the drivers side. In the pic below right above the thermostat

Opps my bad you said a 3.8 sorry was looking at the eng in your Sig :(

·
5,650 Posts
Why did you shut it off when it got to 210*? It is perfectly normal for the car to get up to that temperature. But since you seem sure that the sensor is bad, it is on the front left side of the intake (from the front of the engine) on top of the tee that feeds the heater pipe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shut the car off because I just got finished replacing the head gasket because the car was overheated. The temperature gauge was reading half way between norm and H and the fan was not on. The car should not run at that temperature BEFORE the fan turns on in my opinion. Anyways I replaced the sensor and now the fan turns on before it reaches 210. Thank you for your help.
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts