TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my first post here, but not the first time on a car related forum! My '94 t-bird is acting up. Fan will operate for a few moments when engine has sat for long while and is cool, however when warmed up, fan will not run regardless of whether A/C is on or otherwise. Quite a bad situation here in Jacksonville FL, as i have to drive around with my heat on during the day to keep the engine from cooking itself! :boom: If any one can help, i've pulled the fan and tested it on a battery, runs fine; have also swapped out the CCRM or IRCM (whichever you preferr) and still the same symptoms. Fuse looks good too. The only areas to look at would be the temp sensor, engine ECU, and wiring/grounding of wires. Any ideas?

·
Registered
414 Posts
If the fan works for a few moments as you mentioned I'd move onto other things. At this point you can pass the fuse, relay and grounds.

If you run the AC, it should run the fan. At that moment I'd check the signal to the relay.

Are you sure you are waiting long enough for the fan to run.
It will only run once the computer sees a really high number, like 220 or so.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the opposite problem. Fan stays on all the time when engine is running (even with climate and AC off.) Where is the temp control switch on a mark 8?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'Bout it not getting hot enough, I let the engine run for a while(5-10 min) at idle and then ran up to 2000 rpm for period of several minutes to heat up the engine to middle area of engine temp gague. At that point will allow it to idle still, and fan simply will either not run or will only do so at low speed. So far have replaced the Coolant temp sensor, CCRM (from junk yard). Currently pulled the fan to replace with new unit, having a little difficulty with that as the fan from NAPA is the same in all regards except that it has a pin through the shaft to hold the fan. the problem here is that the orignal shaft is prob 4-5 mm longer and has a collar/backplate that is either siezed on or permanently attached to the shaft. :confused: Was wondering if anyone could clarify if they've ever replaced the motor by removing it from the shroud.

thanks, D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts