TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here whats goin on. I bought my car about 18 months ago and the collant was fine. over thae past 4-5 months ive noticed that it has been getting hotter quicker and doesnt like to cool down as fast, i recently had the cooling system flushed completely. Sense then the car stays cool alot better but when i idle for a bit(which happens sense i live in a town that has over 100 trains com throught is on an average day) it will get hot (gauge needle is at the "N" on the norm in the guage) i hear the fabn come on and the temp drops alittle and when i stop idleing the temp wont come down any lower than it does when the fan cuts off. Also i felt my hoses alittle while ago and when i squeezed the top hose i felt a "crunchy feeling" but when i released the preasure the hose regained its shape with no problems and didnt crack, i squeezed it agian and there was no more crunchy feeling, i squeezed in a different place and the same. What does this mean? i dont think thats its normal so should i replace the hoses? if so what could have caused the problem the hoses are about a year old.

Jess

Oh if it helps it and 94 t-bird with a 4.6 v-8.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
upper coolant hose questions

as i stated in an earlier post i felt my upper hose and when i squeezed the top hose i felt a "crunchy feeling" but when i released the preasure the hose regained its shape with no problems and didnt crack, i squeezed it agian and there was no more crunchy feeling, i squeezed in a different place and the same. does the upper hose have a coil spring in it? could that be what i was feeling, or could it have been a bunch of gunck that i broke free, or could i have collapsed part of the hose where i squeezes it? after thinking about it a while it got me kinda worried. any idea's what the crunching was/is? should i replace the hose?

Jess

·
Administrator
8,032 Posts
The hose may have a spring in it. Hose should be solid once the thermostat opens up.

Joe

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i squeezed it when it cool (but not cold) and the engien was off. it heats up and is pressureized when whe engine is on and at temp. thats why im pretty sure its not the t-stat. im affraid the its blockage in the radiator.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
jmainia21 said:
...over thae past 4-5 months ive noticed that it has been getting hotter quicker and doesnt like to cool down as fast...but when i idle for a bit...it will get hot (gauge needle is at the "N" on the norm in the guage) i hear the fan come on and the temp drops alittle and when i stop idleing the temp wont come down any lower than it does when the fan cuts off.
Is it just me, or does anybody else think there's not much of a problem here? It's summer, the car runs a little hotter than it did in the winter, but it's still not pegging the gauge, I assume. You say it's on the "N". I don't know what the '94 gauge looks like, but is the "N" down low on the gauge, or is that almost to the danger zone? Where did it used to indicate?

Also, there's no reason it should get much cooler when you start driving than when you are idling with the fan on. I have an actual gauge in my car, and the temp doesn't change appreciably. You also changed the thermostat last year, and when summer rolled around, you see different warmup characteristics than last summer with the old thermostat. Unless it's really overheating, I don't see the concern.

The only issue I see is that you can here the fan kick on. Are you not using the AC? If so, the fan should always be on when the AC is on, no matter the temp of the motor.

I have no clue about the "crunchy" thing on the top hose. On my '97, I don't remember any springs in either hose. That hose and a thermostat aren't too expensive it you want to swap them out. People have been known to get bad thermostats. Beyond that, though, I would connect a real gauge to it, and see if there is a real problem before I started throwing real money at a solution.

·
Registered
316 Posts
not to stel the thread or anything

but on my gauge its C and H and in the middle NORM

so are you talking about the n on norm or something?

i awlays hear people talk about staying ebtween O and N

sometimes if i get on it when on the highway ill see temps hitting the M...normal?

i dont know man this is the first supercoupe ive ever driven.

i have the air dam, cooling fan, stock thermostat, and some below 40. runs cool driving street, not so much when i punch it on the highway. like i could actually do 65...no one drives 65...its like 75 is the slow lane.

just wanted to know if thats okay operating temps

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The M is about 210-215 with the AC on. About 200 with it off. nothing too much to worry about. My car actually runs cooler 190-195 on the highway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i changed the hose and the old one was falling apart inside. when i drained the fluid into a bottle there was alot of small rubber fragments at the bottom of the bottle. So that means i should probobly change the bottom hose soon, which sucks really bad but oh well. so heres another fun question, how do i get air out of my cooling system because im assuming that just changing my hose i got some air in the system. so thats what i need to know.

P.S. i checked my t-stat and it tersted fine, i did check my radiator amd the front of it is prett dirty so im gonna clean is sometime this week. and here is another question. my a/c doesnt work so whould it hurt anything to remove the a/c "thing" in front of the radiator? the thing that looks like a radiator? Thanks agian guys.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
jmainia21 said:
i changed the hose and the old one was falling apart inside. when i drained the fluid into a bottle there was alot of small rubber fragments at the bottom of the bottle. So that means i should probobly change the bottom hose soon, which sucks really bad but oh well. so heres another fun question, how do i get air out of my cooling system because im assuming that just changing my hose i got some air in the system. so thats what i need to know.

P.S. i checked my t-stat and it tersted fine, i did check my radiator amd the front of it is prett dirty so im gonna clean is sometime this week. and here is another question. my a/c doesnt work so whould it hurt anything to remove the a/c "thing" in front of the radiator? the thing that looks like a radiator? Thanks agian guys.
See, now you've added new, important info. If the hose was deteriorating, then yes, there could be bits of rubber clogging the radiator. But unless it's overheating, I wouldn't worry excessively about it. Another thing I thought of: The previous owner might have installed a cooler thermostat. It would have run a little cooler on the highway, but the fan wouldn't kick on to keep it at that lower temp while idling (the computer controls the temp the fan kicks on and off, so unless the computer is reprogrammed, a lower thermostat has no real effect while idling).

Also, the bottom hose isn't that bad. You do have to remove the battery to get at the connection to the reservoir (assuming it's the same setup as my '97). And no, it won't hurt anything to remove the AC condenser. But you are then committing to never getting the AC fixed without considerable expense. And I doubt it will really add any appreciable benefit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
jmainia21 said:
i hear the fabn come on and the temp drops alittle and when i stop idleing the temp wont come down any lower than it does when the fan cuts off. .

The temp will come up when you are stopped. Normal because you lose the air flow coming into the grille and through the radiator.
Next the temp will rise up to a point where the fan will come on.
Fan cools the coolant in the radiator and temp comes down.
Once the goal temperature is reached, the fan will stop and your temp will start to rise again.
This will repeat until you drive the car. Fast enough to allow air to come through the radiator. At that point it should maintain the thermostat temperature.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my a/c hasnt worked sense i got it. i have lived this long without it. so im not too concerned about fixing it. im hoping the removing the condenser will help my radiator cool off when im driving. the thing that sucks about the lower hose is that i dont have anything large enough to catch the coolant, so its gonna end up in the grass at my dads house. and im probobly gonna attemp to remove the hose from under the car. it just seems easier. but than agian i my be wrong, ill let you all know.

Also any idea's about the air in the system? do i need to worry about it? if i do how do i get it out?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
leave your radiator cap with the engine running. It will bubble all out. After it reaches running temp (for the thermostat to open) top it off, and close the cap. You might as well get a new thermostat while your doing all of that, just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
On the 96-97 composite intake cars, you remove the heater hose at the passenger rear of the intake, fill the system through the thermostat opening in the intake, and once water is at the nipple from the removed heater hose at the rear, you are golden, you will have to add very little if any to keep it up to the line and not have any air in the system.

I don't know if the aluminum intake is the same or not, it has been awhile since I worked on one.

You can drain part of the coolant out, stop and put it in another container, and finish. SOME places (yours might not be one of those places) allow you to dump it into the sewer system, however unless you know, I wouldn't, and if you have pets be very careful of what you do with it, like on the ground isn't good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts