TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this has been talked about for a little bit but I have been reading on here and on MD and I still have some questions.

1. is it helpful to add an exit in the back of the head on the passenger side since there is a port right there on the intake? I’ve read on some EN/FN forums that they are having issues with heat. I wonder if you put an output in the back of the passenger head if that steals all the heat from the heater core.

2. If I do use both ports, do you think it matters if I use a tee or a y fitting to tie them together?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heavy Metal said:
The other port goes to the heater so the passenger head water has an exit. If you decide to "T" the fittings it is acceptable by what I have read.

The passenger head water flows into the core and not vice versa.
So then you feel that the passenger side can benefit from the cooling mod to?

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
cooling mod

I would recomend puting a t fitting after it comes out of the heater core. It is the hose that go throughs the valley. I would not send extra coolant through the core it could cause the core to fail prematurely. There is not benfit to addint it to the passanger side head since our birds already have a outlet there for the heater core.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
From what I gathered when I researched this is that the most effective place to run is to the front of the intake. The heater core thing is considered "better than nothing". Here is what I did:

The tube that fits into the head is 3/4". I used a bit of Vaseline to stretch some 5/8" hose over it.
#1 - I found a 3/8 nipple with a 5/8 hose barb at NAPA. (p/n 660-1515) I drilled it out because the passageway was very restrictive.
#2 - this is the temp sending unit that is normally in the front of the intake.
#3 - 3/8 brass tee from Ace Hardware.
#4 - brass 3/8 nipple with 3/8 hose barb from Ace Hardware. (needed 2)
#5 - brass 90° elbow from Ace Hardware (3/8 both sides)
#6 (not visible) - 3/8 brass nipple. I think it was 1.5" long. I screwed it in where #2 usually is.

Ideally, you would run a 3/4" hose all the way to the front, but I was unable to find a place with enough clearance.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong. I'm just posting alternative methods. :)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Heavy Metal said:
Tinman get some split poly tubing for those wires and that would look clean. :ztoohot:
Yeah, I know. I'm still working on getting this car on the road. I figured I would work on cosmetics last.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I was going to run it to the cross over in the intake, I just wasn't sure if I should add a tee in the back of the intake and pipe in the passenger side as well. Also I was thinking of running it to the same place tinman has in the intake which should be on the recirulate side right? I don't want to dump into the radiator side since on start up the thermostat will be closed. Which will empty out my motor of coolant correct?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
T-bird_fan said:
...I just wasn't sure if I should add a tee in the back of the intake and pipe in the passenger side as well...
That isn't necessary. The passenger side already has enough flow because of the heater core. You could sort of say that the passenger side already has the cooling mod on it from the factory.

T-bird_fan said:
...I don't want to dump into the radiator side since on start up the thermostat will be closed. Which will empty out my motor of coolant correct?
Yes, it will flow the water into the radiator, but it won't empty your motor. Whatever flows out of the engine will be replaced with coolant from the radiator.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I know, I know...HOLY THREAD RESSURECTION!

I have a pretty urgent question to do with the cooling mod. Since I swapped to the explorer engine, I no longer have coolant leaving the rear of the passenger head, I redirected the heater hose to the front of the intake where it was for the explorer engine. now I want to do the cooling mod since my engine is out of the car, but should I do both heads? I need to get my motor and trans back in but I want to do it right. Also, what would be the best way to connect both of the heads and send it back to the radiator? do I just run the two exit hoses to a T fitting that directs coolant back to the front of the engine on the drivers side in the crossover? I have the intake tapped on both sides only on the front. but then where do I put the ECT sensor? and how do I route the heater hose back to the heater core? from the passenger side of the crossover to the heater core?

Thanks for any help
Sean

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
rofl, u have the same name i do 96_LX

·
Registered
563 Posts
No, you have the same name as I do lol ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts