TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering doing the cooling mod on my '02 Explorer motor. The motor is still on the engine stand so I figure now would be the best time to do it. I have read several posts about the subject, but I am not sure where to purchase it. I have seen references to Dennis Reinhart and Apten. I was unable to find any information on Dennis's site. The Apten site lists it as a '03 Cobra mod. Is it not the same for SOHC?
I have also seen posts that imply that the freeze plug adapter is available from Ford. It seems like that would be alot cheaper than a whole kit from Apten. (Considering I might not use the whole kit due to the fact that it is for Cobras.)
Any insight would be appreciated. (Especially from anyone who has installed this mod.)

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
You should be able to purchase it from Apten still, don't quote me on that. A lot more people have done this mod on the depot... So you might wanna check around there for better information. Blown96bird did this mod also...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After more searching, I found that the part that goes into the head at the freeze plug can be bought from Ford. It is p/n XR3Z-18B402-DA for around $25.00.

It took me a while to find this, so I thought I would post it for future reference.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
That's not a bad price. That come with the o-ring?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Al_Florida said:
That's not a bad price. That come with the o-ring?
Okay, I stopped by a stealership on the way home today and ordered one. It was $30 and some-odd cents but the parts guy marked it down to $27. I figured if I ordered it over the internet, shipping would make it about the same price so... what the heck. I assumed that it comes with the o-ring.

·
Registered
404 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts