TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got my 4.6 bird, I've had a situation where the radiator fan comes on while driving at highway speeds to keep it cool. It had over 100k miles on it when I bought it and I've been driving it for two years. It has never overheated, and I replaced the radiator shortly after I got it due to a leak, but there was no improvement in this condition.

I've had two Super Coupes in the past, and I didn't have this problem on those. The temp. guage would stay around the "N" while cruising. This is my first 4.6. Is this a normal condition with the 4.6, or could my water pump need to be replaced? It just doesn't seem that the fan should be coming on at cruising speeds, even on warm days, to keep cool. :confused:

Any insight is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Depends on the speed. IIRC above 55mph the fan stays off, but below that the fan is intermittent. If the A/C is on the fan will also be running, regardless of engine temp.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guitar maestro: The coolant flush was done right after I got the car. That's when I discovered the leak. :D The thermostat was changed at the same time as the radiator.

Silver95Bird: A/C off cruising at 70. The guage goes to the "M" and the fan comes on for a few minutes until the temp comes down then shuts off. This cycle repeats itself at ambient temps above 60.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Just out of curiosity how are you determining the fan is coming on at 70mph? I sure as hell can't hear mine at speed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I determined that I have this condition by observing concurrent fluctuations between the temp and alt guages.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Not a good indicator unfortunately. Temp gauge can change as the thermostat cycles and if you have ever watched your alt gauge tick back and forth with your turn signal you know it doesn't take much to make move. If it's running fine I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
pileit1 said:
guitar maestro: The coolant flush was done right after I got the car. That's when I discovered the leak. :D The thermostat was changed at the same time as the radiator.

Silver95Bird: A/C off cruising at 70. The gauge goes to the "M" and the fan comes on for a few minutes until the temp comes down then shuts off. This cycle repeats itself at ambient temps above 60.
What temp thermostat did you put in, and are you chip'd? :2huh:

The 95 Cougar I have would do that when I first got it. The previous owner had installed a Hypertech chip, which is designed to turn the fans on at a lower temp to go along with the lower temp thermostat. The previous owner installed the chip, but not the lower temp thermostat. My temp gauge looked like a yo-yo.... it would go up… the fan would kick on... it would go down… the fan would kick off… the temp would go up.... the fan would kick in.... !!! (Definitely irritating!!!) :leftright

A colder thermostat fixed that little “issue”. :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thermostat was a stock replacement, not sure about the temp rating. The engine is stock, no chip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts