TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next door neighbor/landlord has a Mazda 6 that she bought brand new. 4-cylinder. She reports that it is warming up when driving on the highway but cooling off when it sits still idling (like cool air from the heater cool). I told her I'd look at it, but the description is the reverse of what you'd normally think would happen.. I mean don't they normally cool off on the highway (more air over the radiator) and warm up at idle?

Am I missing something here? thoughts? ideas?

·
Registered
274 Posts
^ what he said

problem is that the car isn't getting cold enough at high speeds to disipate the heat reached by the engine,

it could also be that she just barely has the min amount of coolant, on those little cars that at times can do that, just enough coolant to cool it at idle but put stress behind it and heats up

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Lower radiator hose collapsing ... (Open hood, watch hoses, rev motor up to 2500-3000.)

Radiator Flow insufficient ... (What kind of water was used to mix with coolant? Well water? Distilled water? It matters.)

Thermostat not opening properly ... (A spring closes it, but heat opens it.)

Also, a defective clutch fan or temp switch that operates an electric fan not operating properly can also affect it, causing highway heating if a really hot day.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I had a thermostat break on me once. One side broke and collapsed. It allowed enough coolant flow at low RPMs, but at higher RPMs it would overheat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts