TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are these cars equipped with a bleeder valve somewhere for the cooling system. I ran it w/o the radiator cap to bleed it but it didn't seem to make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Nope, no bleeder valve.

Best thing you can do is drain the whole thing, then refill it by removing the Tstat housing and filling it from there til its completely topped off, then use a new Oring to put the Tstat back in, using preferably a brand new Motor craft Tstat. The rest of the cooing system capacity can be filled through the reservoir tank with the drivers side front corner jacked up real high to make it the highest fill point to avoid air bubbles.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Other than the nipple is fragile (if brass then where it is pressed in, if plastic than just from being plastic) but I like to pop the heater hose from the passenger rear nipple off and fill til I see coolant there (filling using the thermostat opening) then button it up and fill the reservoir, I rarely have to add a pint doing this method.

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
Have a look at the rear of the engine on the passenger side, and you'll see where the heater core inlet hose attaches to the intake.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Heck, I just fill mine from the reservoir. Never had any problems from that.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
what do you mean by heater hose and rear nipple?
it's about time you popped the hood and got acquainted with your car now :D

Heck, I just fill mine from the reservoir. Never had any problems from that.
me too, but then again we're not all familiar with how our cars behave. Mine, I will fill only at the reservoir, and know exactly how much to drive it and how to drive it, to get the coolant "sucked into the engine" and get the level at the reservoir to drop, in order to top if off there.

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
If you're going to remove the tstat, the best way to fill it is to:

Open the Temperature Sender/Sensor in the crossover that is highest, however it's parked.

Fill system to "Full" line on reservoir, then close reservoir cap.

Fill thru Temp sensor opening until it's full.
If this adds water to the reservoir, your cap is bad, or tank is cracked. :eek:

Add new teflon tape, screw in sensor.

System is now full with no large bubbles. :thumbsup:

There will be a small bubble in the top of each head, but it's supposedly about 100cc per head. They will come out when you run it the first time.

Mine, I will fill only at the reservoir, and know exactly how much to drive it and how to drive it, to get the coolant "sucked into the engine" and get the level at the reservoir to drop, in order to top if off there.
This is what I actually do; a few turns, an few wots; it's full. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts