TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the 4.6L world so I need some help.

I want to flush the cooling system on my 96 Bird and someone told me about having to remove 2 drain plugs on each side of the engine. He said it was to ensure all the coolant was drained. Has anyone heard of this? And can anyone give me the correct procedure to do the job.

Also I just read the thread on the thermostats and I plan to change mine.

·
8,239 Posts
a couple topics already on this :search: is your friend.

I installed one of those prestone backflush things on the heater core hose leading to the intake and flushed it out with a garden hose. Then drain the water from the drainblocks on the engine if you want, and drain out as much as you can, then fill it up with 50 percent prestone and 50 percent distilled water (39 cents a gallon at walmart)

Should be good to go for any climate, and the new prestone is good for a few years instead of one.

You might want to remove your overflow bottle and clean it up good with a toothbrush before you put fresh coolant in it, thats what I did. Also yank the radiator hoses and check for any blockage from minerals.

JH

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Bah, too much antifreeze Justin. Unless you routinely see temps in the single digits and below, 75/25 water to antifreeze is more than enough freeze protection and will cool the engine more efficiently. Add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter if you want the best cooling. But definitely use the distilled water. It's dirt cheap and worth it in the long run for sure.

·
8,239 Posts
Not for us northerners. I've always been taught 50/50.

I guess I could use less in my car which sits inside all winter, but the truck gets 50/50, because it sometimes hits 20 below zero.

JH

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sir William said:
Bah, too much antifreeze Justin. Unless you routinely see temps in the single digits and below, 75/25 water to antifreeze is more than enough freeze protection and will cool the engine more efficiently. Add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter if you want the best cooling. But definitely use the distilled water. It's dirt cheap and worth it in the long run for sure.
I'll second that....

·
Registered
355 Posts
bah, why used distilled water, when i have access to demineralized water. No corrosion for me!!! :D

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Heavy Metal said:
Demin is good... You got a portable demin kit? :D
Why not throw in some 18meg-Ohm purified water? What the heck??? All it will do is adsorb a little metal ions from your cooling system walls. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Point is that by simply throwing any grade of deionized, demineralized, RO or whatever your imagination calls it water is not always the best idea. If you do not know what you are doing then you will be better off using tap water…

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here we go again...

Sorry I'm not a fuggin chemical engineer... You trying bust my balls some more Miller? Give it a rest. Why do you have to be a smart azz when you reply?

I guess when I used it on jet aircraft it wasn't good then either... :rolleyes:

J.Miller said:
Why not throw in some 18meg-Ohm purified water? What the heck??? All it will do is adsorb a little metal ions from your cooling system walls. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Point is that by simply throwing any grade of deionized, demineralized, RO or whatever your imagination calls it water is not always the best idea. If you do not know what you are doing then you will be better off using tap water…

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Breath in and allow me to explain. Water quality (especially in the military) is defended by its components. If you are going to say use X type of water then you need to define it. Please provide the Jet aircraft Mill specification with at some of the following:

Conductivity
Total dissolved solids
Alkalinity
Total suspended solids
CO2
pH

Possibly some base Ion requirements such as:
Calcium or simply hardness
Magnesium
Sodium
Potassium
Carbonate
Bicarbonate
Chloride
Sulfide
Sulfate
Silicon (reactive or non-reactive)

Hey what do I know? :ssalute: :ssalute: :ssalute:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok the aircraft was KC-135A and the engines were J57-59W. I don't have the mil spec and the last time I used this stuff was 1987. If I remember correctly there wasn't a mil spec but I could be wrong. The placard on the jet never had one listed. If I find more I will pass it on. Hmmm, maybe this can help you...

link

Look at page 15 para 7.2

EDIT:
Here is out of the other tech order... Not a whole lot of info.

T.O. 42C-1-16
CHAPTER 2
WATER AND WATER-ALCOHOL IN AIRCRAFT ENGINES
a. Water with pH outside the above limits may be 2.1 WATER PURITY.
used on a maximum of three occasions per engine
provided that parent command headquarters coor- The water used for the purpose described herein must be
dination is obtained prior to use, and the engines clear and free of harmful impurities. Some waters which
are liquid cleaned according to T.O. 2J-J57-56 are suitable for human consumption are undesirable for use
immediately after each occurrence. in water injection systems since they contain a relatively
high concentration of dissolved minerals which will deposit
b. Water with total solids from 11 − 25 ppm may be as scale on internal engine parts, water regulator passages,
used on three occasions provided the engines are solenoid valves, etc., and consequently will reduce engine
subjected to field cleaning according to T.O. efficiency. Waters having a total solids concentration of not
2J-J57-56 immediately after each occurrence. more than 10 parts per million (ppm) are considered
suitable for use in water injection systems of all aircraft. c. Water with total solids from 26 − 50 ppm may be
Such water may be obtained by distillation or by chemical used on one occasion provided the engines are
demineralization. Information on the analysis of water can subjected to field cleaning according to T.O.
generally be obtained from local water works officials, 2J-J57-56 after its use.
public health offices, or educational institutions. If civilian
information relative to the pH or total solid content of local d. Any time water in excess of the pH range of 5.5 −
water supply cannot be obtained from sources mentioned 9.5 and/or total solids of 10 ppm is used, each
above, a 1-pint sample of the water in a clean glass or occurrence shall be noted on the AFTO Form 781
plastic container well rinsed with water from the same and on the AFTO Form 95 for each engine. Report
source as the sample, will be forwarded to an Aerospace to parent command headquarters any engine that
Fuels Laboratory listed in Table 4-1. Overseas locations has reached the limits of exposure to substandard
should submit samples to the nearest government-operated water (three occasions for pH outside 5.5 − 9.5,
or contract Petroleum Products Testing Laboratory for such three occasions for solids 11 − 25 ppm, one occaanalysis.
sion for solids 26 − 50 ppm).
e. No further utilization in excess of these limits is 2.2 STRAIGHT WATER APPLICATIONS FOR
authorized between engine overhaul, except in war
TURBOJET AIRCRAFT. operations and in emergency to prevent hazard to
aircraft safety. After each occasion the engines are
2.2.1 Water Requirements. Turbojet engines in pre- to be cleaned according to T.O. 2J-J57-56, as
sent, active USAF aircraft that require water for thrust appropriate.
augmentation should be serviced with water that meets the
following requirements: 2.2.3 Low Ambient Temperatures. When ambient
temperatures below 40°F (5°C) exist, water will not be • Total Solids — 10 parts per million (ppm) maximum used in aircraft that do not incorporate a system to heat the • pH range — 5.5 − 9.5

J.Miller said:
Breath in and allow me to explain. Water quality (especially in the military) is defended by its components. If you are going to say use X type of water then you need to define it. Please provide the Jet aircraft Mill specification with at some of the following:

Conductivity
Total dissolved solids
Alkalinity
Total suspended solids
CO2
pH

Possibly some base Ion requirements such as:
Calcium or simply hardness
Magnesium
Sodium
Potassium
Carbonate
Bicarbonate
Chloride
Sulfide
Sulfate
Silicon (reactive or non-reactive)

Hey what do I know? :ssalute: :ssalute: :ssalute:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
gees! all thats pretty confusing to me, but I am in process of installing a Snow water/methanol injection system in my car, and was wondering what in heck kinda water should i be useing? mil spec? filtered? hard tap water? demineralized bottle? dont plan on useing too much ... i just use filtered water inna cooling system...i suppose it should probably have some hardness? Hmmmmm/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts