TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im going to start purchasing parts for my 4.6 . As most may know i have rusted hoses and had rusted resivore. A friend flushed it couple months ago, and there was still some brown rust in my coolant. I drained it and cleaned the resivore about a month ago. For the most part its green bt still have rust specs floating in there. The radiator has dripping leak drops on drivers side of bottom. It only drips out if i park the car front side down. Rolling around town doesnt leak which i find odd.

So it looks like its the hose. Its on all the way so im just going to replace it.Along with radiator, cause its stock and who knows how much rust is in there. So im going to go with spectre from rock auto.

Is there any difference between gates and dayco hoses. Any bad epirences with either bursting or leaking etc. ?

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
I've used both in the past, don't mind either.

However, have you considered paying the penalty and using Motorcraft hoses? Consider that the ones on the car are almost 20 years old ...

RwP

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've used both in the past, don't mind either.

However, have you considered paying the penalty and using Motorcraft hoses? Consider that the ones on the car are almost 20 years old ...

RwP
yea i was considering motorcraft bt man the lower one is 39.99 from rock auto. also Do you know or anyone know what size clamps i need? The only good clamp that i can probaly reuse will be the one going to the resivore. all the other ones on the bottom are rusted.

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
Nope, don't know offhand. However, an easy method - when you get the new hoses, pop over to AutoZone/Advance/Princess/O'Reilly's/NAPA/whatever and fit them there.

I THINK they're 1.5", but if you buy four of them, I'd be wrong :diablo:

Also, don't reuse any of them - put all new on. They're cheap enough, you don't want a failure in your surge tank hose (which is what I think you mean - 4.6's don't have reservoirs, they have surge tanks - it's under pressure, unlike my 5.0's reservoir) which would then spew your coolant out. Cheap to avoid is good - expensive to fix isn't :diablo:

RwP

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.. do you know what the skinny hose going from the radiator to the top of the coolant tank is called. i cant seem to find that small hose anywhere?

I was thinking about getting some lime away or something and trying to flush the rust out of it. i stuck a phillips in there and got some of it out already.

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
62 Posts
ok im going to start purchasing parts for my 4.6 . As most may know i have rusted hoses and had rusted resivore. A friend flushed it couple months ago, and there was still some brown rust in my coolant. I drained it and cleaned the resivore about a month ago. For the most part its green bt still have rust specs floating in there. The radiator has dripping leak drops on drivers side of bottom. It only drips out if i park the car front side down. Rolling around town doesnt leak which i find odd.

So it looks like its the hose. Its on all the way so im just going to replace it.Along with radiator, cause its stock and who knows how much rust is in there. So im going to go with spectre from rock auto.

Is there any difference between gates and dayco hoses. Any bad epirences with either bursting or leaking etc. ?
Hey buy your hose's at autozone I have never had I problem with them. Hey If you drop your car off to me on Thursday night I should have it done by Sunday if I don't run in to any problem's. I got your message, So give me a call if that day is good for you.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey buy your hose's at autozone I have never had I problem with them. Hey If you drop your car off to me on Thursday night I should have it done by Sunday if I don't run in to any problem's. I got your message, So give me a call if that day is good for you.
autozone is dayco. im going to go with the brand oriely sales gates. bt get them from rock auto cause there way cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
I was thinking about getting some lime away or something and trying to flush the rust out of it.
Don't put that in your engine; it will cause even more problems.

Get the Radiator system flush stuff,and after that, run water thru the engine till it runs clear.

Removing the tank is probably the only way to clean it, if you're having to scrape it with a screwdriver. I use BBs for stuff like that...

You may have to redo it every few months until it clears up; sounds like it was never changed.

You'll likely have issues with the intake manifold gasket seal too, if you're not already.

Good luck with it; sounds like it needs some TLC. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't put that in your engine; it will cause even more problems.

Get the Radiator system flush stuff,and after that, run water thru the engine till it runs clear.

Removing the tank is probably the only way to clean it, if you're having to scrape it with a screwdriver. I use BBs for stuff like that...

You may have to redo it every few months until it clears up; sounds like it was never changed.

You'll likely have issues with the intake manifold gasket seal too, if you're not already.

Good luck with it; sounds like it needs some TLC. :)
No you misunderstood. i was talking about just removing the bybass hose completly, and doing it to that. (the little hose going from the tank to top of radiator. But RalphP already sent me link to autozone for the hose. So im just going to replace it.

Yea its already leaking a little bit into my cylinder i have to keep pulling the boot to clean it off. The boot is whats stopping it rite now, from getting to the spark plug. A friend of mine is supposed to fix it this weekend for me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what radiator brands are good, Or should i say which ones does everyone have good experience's with. Beside motorcraft and griffin. Im ordering from rockauto so it would be one of those brands.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
www.radiator.com

what radiator brands are good, Or should i say which ones does everyone have good experience's with. Beside motorcraft and griffin. Im ordering from rockauto so it would be one of those brands.
I ordered my radiator from www.radiator.com

IIRC it was a Vista-Pro brand radiator..

They will meet anyones price!

The best part is..Their radiators come with a Lifetime Warranty..
:thumbsup:

Rayo..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts