TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm driving my car today and when I parked it I hear a hissing sound coming from the pass side firewall and I can smell coolant, I check and my overflow is about two quarts low. I can't see anything leaking in or out of the car and my heater isn't working please help me with this mystery thanks.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
heater core most likely, check pass floor for wetness, and inside windshield might have a red-ish color to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking but the floor board is dry could it be leaking somewhere I can't see? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,081 Posts
That's what I was thinking but the floor board is dry could it be leaking somewhere I can't see? Thanks
Slow enough leak, it may be draining out the A/C drain vent.

Won't take long before it's leaking faster, though.

For now, you can loop a hose between the two heater pipes off the motor, and save up for a replacement heater core.

As a note, since you'll be IN there, I'd opt for a new evaporator core for JustInCase. Both are right royal pains due to the fact that Ford managed to suspend the heater and evaporator cores, and build the car around them :diablo:

RwP

·
Registered
833 Posts
Another possible cause would be a dreaded head gasket check your oil if it is milky that's your problem. Good luck if it is the head gaskets then stop driving it before you do more damage

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Heater doesnt work well or at all when you are low on coolant. They usually leak onto the carpet. Ive never seen a Tbird / Mark with a leaky heater core that leaked out of the A/C Drain, that is un-likely .. no reason to replace the Evaporator, they typically dont go bad like heater cores do and you would have to service the AC as well.

Check for white residue, its a telltale sign of leaking coolant if its not already obvious. Hissing sound from the passenger side .. I would start there.

Otherwise, fill it up, and get a pressure tester / adapter for the radiator. You can pressurize the coolant system and look for leaks ( UV light helps also, most coolants will glow ) .. or just run the engine and look for leaks.

If you want to check for a blown HG, do a compression test and a leakdown test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts