TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temp needle keeps going to the RED zone then it will go back down to the N in NORM and move between N O R M then back to the RED. This all happens after I'm driving for a few minutes; also my heat keeps coming out hot then cold.

My question is this, when this happened I stopped the car. When I felt the radiator and the radiator cap they were both cold, also the water in the overflow bottle was cold, & the upper radiator hose was cold.

I then loosened the radiator cap a little and then the water in the overflow tank started bubbling like air was being released, I touched the radiator again and it was hot as HELL! All of the above items were hot. What do you guys think the problem is???
I already replaced the thermostat (Robert Shaw).
Checked all my hose's there OK.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
How long ago did you replace the t-stat? You may need to bleed the system of air. Check out Beiruts Finest thread on how to do this.

Joe

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
It is possible that the new thremostat you bought was defective. But it sounds like you didn't get all the air bleed out of the system like Joe stated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just changed it 2 days ago. I did follow his steps to refill the system.

Maybe I'll try bleeding it some more.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
Were you having this problem before you installed the new t-stat? If you weren't it's definitely related to the installation somehow. I'm not trying to sound like a smarta$$, but did you mount it in the housing going the right way? :2huh:

Joe

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
OK, let me ask you this. What was the car doing before you changed the t-stat? Temp going up and down? Was this problem you first described happening before you changed the t-stat? Just trying to figure things out here for you.

Joe

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the original problem was already happening. So thats when I replaced the T-stat first cause its cheap.
I also flushed my radiator, and checked all my hoses. Everything looked good.

I seem's like the hot water isn't being circulated out of the engine block.
Everything is cold until I open the radiator cap a little then the pressure is released, hot water is released out of the block and everything gets hot as hell.

Is it the water pump?

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
krazy3o4 said:
Is it the water pump?
It could be. Usually when the pump goes it starts getting noisy and leaks. Anything like that happening? Are you smelling antifreeze or white smoke coming out of the exhaust, oil in the reservoir?

Joe

·
Registered
266 Posts
yeah first check with what rodeo joe had suggested (if you look under the bottom where the water pump is 'cause i belive our's have a "weep" hole at the bottom of the pump) so if every thing checks out fine with your car you should get a factory t-stat. 'cause a regular t-stat does'nt fully open until 12 degree's later than specified. i figured this out when my teacher told me and when i had my car tested for it too.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
A factory T-stat doesn not fully open Either till after 10-15* beyond the spec. Any thermostat STARTS to open at its spec and Opens more every 1* warmer it gets till its FULLY open. stock one STARTS to open @ 197* but won't be full open till around 210* and a 180* Starts to open at 180* and is fully open @ 195*

Your thermostat is almost NEVER fully open unless you are working the engine VERY hard.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I changed the water pump out yesterday, it did have some gunk caked up at the bottom of it at the weep hole, and I checked the T-stat in boiling water to make sure it was opening and it is so that good.

The temp gauge doesn't go past M anymore it usually stays around N now but the heat is still coming out hot some times then it starts to blow out cold.

What else could it be???

·
Registered
801 Posts
3.8 peeps, can this be a heater core problem?????

im not sure but its a suggestion, just trying to help. Im pretty good with the whole coolant system since my car was overheating for a long time and i finally found out that it was my clogged rad. But if its not the pump and its not the t-stat then rad is the next option or heater core.

Marvin M.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
So the other issues have been taken care of, the cold radiator and hose? Did you make sure you bled the air out of the system? I'm taking a guess, I might be wrong but your heater core maybe blocked or on the way out. Have you noticed any puddles on the passenger side carpet?

Joe

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah everything is circulation nice now, rad and hose are all warm.
I haven't see or felt any wetness on the passenger floor.

I might take it to a shop and let them take a look, maybe the rad or heater core are clogged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts