TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 180* t-stat, my coolant level is where it should be in the overflow tank, i think the mixture is off a little i checked with some strips that you can put in there and take out and judge the example on the box. it says its at 30% compared to 60%. but my needle kinda stays om the m on normal, somtimes just above the m so what do you guys think? :confused:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it has a new t-stat and i had to add some coolant this mornin so i filled to the bottom of the cold full mark and had to do some runnin and still ran up on the m. i guess the mixture is off or somthing, ill check it again in the mornin and see where it is sittin. thanx for any help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
From what i've heard water alone actually dissapates heat better than a coolant/water mixture so technically the car should run cooler. The job of the coolant is to prevent freezing in winter and boiling in summer. It also preserves the integrity of your metal parts in your cooling system and lubricates your water pump. The ideal mixture is 50-60% but as long as it's not overheating you should be ok for now. If it really bothers you, siphon some of it out of your coolant tank and add undiluted coolant until the correct mixture is reached. Hope this helped.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
might also want to check your radiator....if its old, or even the original, it may have accumulated deposits that prevent optimum cooling.......also, a hot-running transmission would lessen the cooling since it dissipates the heat from the fluid into the coolant in the driver's side radiator tank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts