TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car: 02 Explorer engine COP ignition conversion.

I ran for the cop conversion for about 9 months never had problems (Soldered everything no crimp connectors).

What it does:
Car will die randomly CLEAN like you turned the key off - no sputtering.

Sometimes the car won't start - just turns over like no spark.

Seems to be worse when hot - sensor maybe?

What I tried: New boots and springs with silicon grease
cleaned maf
new fuel filter
reset inertia switch
No codes thrown

Kinda stumped - could a coolant sensor do this?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
When the car turns over but doesn't start, when in key on but not running, does the (CEL or SES or whatever check engine light you have) illuminate? After I did the PI intake in my 97, I had a problem where the PCM wasn't getting power, I didn't know what was going on until I saw the SES light never came on. I played with the harness to the PCM and found a wire that was shorting out causing the problem. It was a white with black stripe that goes in and is attached to the aluminum thing off the back of the intake, I don't remember what it is.

Also my fan ran at all times when that happened.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
since your car is a '95 it could be related to the EDIS module going out......Big Scott just had to replace his..........since you guys' EDIS is not built-in to the EEC like the 96/97 cars andis inside the engine compartment, all those heating cycles could be taking their toll on it.........have you put a voltmeter to negative side of the COPs and see if it switches +12V, 0V, +12V.......when cranking?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts