TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well from reading up on doing the DOHC to SOHC swap i'm seeing a lot of people telling me I NEED to switch from the coil on plug ignition system of my Marauder to the coil pack ignition system. Personally I would prefer not to do this as I would prefer to have COP than coil packs. Now, can I keep my COP ignition if I use the stock T-bird computer or will i have to swap it for my Marauder's computer? It's not like it will be a pain hunting these parts down, I will have all of these parts at my disposal as they will be coming out of my wrecked Marauder so it's not that big of a deal for me to find them. Also, one other thing i'm worried about, if I have to use the Marauder's computer to run the COP ignition, does that mean i have to replace the ignition switch and everything else too to run with my chipped key? Because I thought the passive anti-theft system that is run by the chipped keys had several points where the chip had to communicate with the car, one being in the ECM. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
im not exactly sure on what your situation is with your wrecked marauder or your project, but the short answer is you can use either ignitions components on either computer, just a matter of knowing how to wire them up.......i did the coil-pack -> COP switch-a-roo on my '97 cougar, but it can also be done backwards if that's what you're trying to accomplish......are you indeed going from DOHC to SOHC in your Marauder like it says in the beginning of your post?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i'm going from SOHC in T-bird to throw in the DOHC that used to be in my Marauder, I just wasn't sure if i could still retain the COP ignition. But you answered my question though, thank you sir!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Dark_Knight7096 said:
Well from reading up on doing the DOHC to SOHC swap i'm seeing a lot of people telling me I NEED to switch from the coil on plug ignition system of my Marauder to the coil pack ignition system. Personally I would prefer not to do this as I would prefer to have COP than coil packs. Now, can I keep my COP ignition if I use the stock T-bird computer or will i have to swap it for my Marauder's computer? It's not like it will be a pain hunting these parts down, I will have all of these parts at my disposal as they will be coming out of my wrecked Marauder so it's not that big of a deal for me to find them. Also, one other thing i'm worried about, if I have to use the Marauder's computer to run the COP ignition, does that mean i have to replace the ignition switch and everything else too to run with my chipped key? Because I thought the passive anti-theft system that is run by the chipped keys had several points where the chip had to communicate with the car, one being in the ECM. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
The marauder eec has the proper hardware to run the COP's, stick with the marauder eec.

That other guy did not have the proper EEC to run COP's, so he rigged up the spare module (only used on 94-5 Tbirds -- EDIS) to run the COP's in waste spark. Many would argue that although it may work, it is not the proper hardware to really run the COP's as designed, if your pushing it to the limit the hardware may be inadequate.

Just based on what the "guys that know" have stated.

Stick with the EEC that has the built-in hardware.

Good luck!

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
IIRC, the PATS can be bypassed with a chip/tune. Maybe I'm wrong on that...so somebody please correct me if so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts