TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had magnaflow cats installed in place of the old ones and had the middle resonator replaced with a Y pipe a little over a month ago. I recently decided to look underneath, see how they were doing, and noticed they turned a somewhat copper color. I don't know if this is bad.... Here's a pic taken the other day.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
some mild steel and stainless turn that color with extreme heat. Being that it's a catalytic converter I wouldn't worry about it having turned that color due to it's extreme heat.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
I was going to say the same thing; some metals will discolor when they're exposed to high heat like what you'd expect from a catalytic converter. Completely normal.

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never dealt with newer cars or newer cats, so I've never witnessed a color change on cats.

This is a tad off topic, but was wondering if an exhaust leak would cause a decent loss of performance and/or odd shifting? Starting to think he didn't replace the exhaust gasket for either side of the piping where it bolts into the header. Will have to check next time the car is up on ramps, but I'm positive I hear an exhaust leak when accelerating from stop or speeding up while already moving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts