TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my records I haven't replaced my spark plugs since Dec. 2012. They look fine, gap is fine, car is running fine. Should I change them or wait? By the way theyre NGK TR55.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
As they aren't time wearing but usage wearing, who knows.

If the electrode is nice and square, the gap is fine, then no reason to not leave them in.

Personally I drive too much to use copper plugs. I used then a couple changes, but every 7 to 8 months (15,000 miles) starting took a hit (longer crank times), as did fuel mileage. Gap was .070 or larger, rounded electrode. With as few threads as our heads have, I think that plugs that need changed possibly twice a year wasn't for me.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
spark plugs arent dependent on age. more about mileage.

heck, my copper plugs have been in my 73 bird for 6-7 years now....but only have roughly 3000 miles on them.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
....but only have roughly 3000 miles on them.
Exactly.

You will find out at ~10kmiles the gas mileage will drop off 3-5mpg; take the plugs out and dress them and it will go back to normal. :)

Take the plugs out cold. Dressing is a skill; ask an old guy, it used to be required. :)

If you have the plugs out, use antiseize.

Lazarus will start dropping #7 if I go ~13k with no maintenance, lol.

I really should just put the double platinums in until I add cams... :rolleyes:

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Exactly.

You will find out at ~10kmiles the gas mileage will drop off 3-5mpg; take the plugs out and dress them and it will go back to normal. :)

Take the plugs out cold. Dressing is a skill; ask an old guy, it used to be required. :)

I've been curious about this for some time. What exactly does one do when dressing spark plugs?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well odometer is broken. But according to and from distances, I drive roughly 60 miles a week and upwards of 22 miles twice a month. So that's about 3,4XX, No gas mile drops, misfires nothing.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Exactly.

I like when people ask me for a "tuneup" .. cars with no points to adjust. :tongue:

Yeah you should be running double platinum on a waste spark setup anyways, the polarity is reversed on the adjacent plug in the coil pair.

Coppers are cheap enough, like $2.00 each, just replace them if you have them out anyways.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Does fine grit sandpaper and parts cleaner work?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Does fine grit sandpaper and parts cleaner work?
yes but no where near as fast. A small file set at home depot or lowes is about $10.

or these. :rofl:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZgqCXf9w_BE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
:rofl:

I learned to dress a plug back when I first got a 2 stroke dirt bike.

You keep extra plugs, files, sandpaper, WD40, tools... :rolleyes:

To dress a plug, the overall concept is to put the edges of the plug electrodes back to a 90° edge, nice and sharp.

File both the end of the outer electrode, and the sides of the center electrode.

Don't file the top of the center electrode if you can help it, try to file the sides. You can do a plug this way a few times, you'll know when it's time to replace it. :)

If the center electrode is way rounded, to where you can't fix it by filing the sides slightly, post a pic; somethings wrong. :)

Copper plugs make you keep a close eye on the engine, because you're dealing with them regularly; you notice rich/lean a lot more when you see them every other month. (I drive a lot...)

My "New" 86 IT dirt bike has a CDI ignition; I've never fouled a plug. And its spark hit feels worse than the Cougars, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts