TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after having my left front corner light backed into by some clown, the piece that the light attaches to, appears to be all broken to heck. It appears to maybe be made of some sort of plastic? I'm wondering (as I cannot see beyond the light opening) if that piece runs the entire width of the front end, and will I need to disassemble the entire front area of the car to replace it.

I can supply photos, if that will help clarify my problem/question.

Thanks a bunch,
Kevin

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
That piece is called the "header panel". You can get a replacement through a junkyard/ ebay/ etc... I would recommend getting a used one and not a new. The new ones are often made with a very brittle plastic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That piece is called the "header panel". You can get a replacement through a junkyard/ ebay/ etc... I would recommend getting a used one and not a new. The new ones are often made with a very brittle plastic.
The name sort of implies that it crosses the entire front end. Does it? The one that's there now seems to be very brittle as well. I always suspected that my car had a wrecked front end at one time, as the parts don't line up at all. Everything is off, bumper, headlights, grille, all of it.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming folks will quit bashing into my car, I suppose it won't bother me if the replacement piece is a bit brittle.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
Yes the header panel goes across the whole front of the car. You will need to remove the front bumper cover to replace it, but that really isn't hard. Personally, with an aftermarket one I would be less worried about it being brittle and more worried about the lights, grille, and front bumper not all lining up properly. If looking in junkyards for a stock replacement, the breakdown of year/model interchange is as follows
89-93 tbird
89-90 cougar
91-95 cougar
94/95 tbird
96/97 tbird or cougar

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I found myself in a similar situation recently and was able to repair the header panel with JB Weld. Yes, easy to get to, no special tools needed. There's a support that goes between the header panel and fender. If that got crunched use the one on the other side as a guide to bend back the bent one. While your in there, good opportunity to replace the vacuum lines going to the purge valve.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
If you can't fix it and you can find a junk yard part, an NOS Ford part would be best. Aftermarket parts can be real junk, but NOS parts can be very pricey.

The Ford part # is: F6SZ8A284A

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can't fix it and you can find a junk yard part, an NOS Ford part would be best. Aftermarket parts can be real junk, but NOS parts can be very pricey.

The Ford part # is: F6SZ8A284A
Yea, costs of around $190 seem pretty common from what I've seen. Heck, the entire car isn't probably worth much more than that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts