TCCoA Forums banner

401 - 420 of 422 Posts

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,266 Posts
The last four governors of florida have been repbs. All they want to do is lower taxes on corporations and the wealthy and hide and deceive, not allowing the couvd facts to be fully vetted.

Making the nursing home death stats. unavailable.

Making unemployment benefits web site a barely functioning POS.

Etc.... the gov. of fl is a hack for the pres.

·
Super Moderator
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Florida man says ... "Nonissue" .... the counter-spin, counter-accusations and damage control ensues. Meanwhile, the truth gets lost in the whataboutism and manufactured doubt.

In a nutshell. Not bowing to pressure to manually change data = insubordination

·
Super Moderator
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #403

·
Super Moderator
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
S4gunn said:
Fun fact. If you want to read an interesting article on NYTimes, just cut and paste the URL into a link shortener (like tinyURL or shorl.com). You can then go to outline.com and paste the shortened link and VOILA. Full article access.

Try it.
-g
This is awesome! Tried it for the first time tonight. Thanks so much for the tip!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
It was a warm memorial day even in SF and nationwide, it looks like people were out in droves. We will know the impact in 2 weeks..

Naples, FL

Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Houston, TX

Indiana Dunes NP

Clearwater Beach, FL (home of Scientology - I bet OT7s can beat back covid with their mind)

Pacifica, CA - Even folks in SF are guilty of wanting to get out
https://www.reddit.com/r/bayarea/comments/gql9ay

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,452 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum, the wife and I went to a Japanese marketplace near where her apartment was in Columbus while she was in med school. Normally on weekends and holidays it's packed.

Not yesterday - it was maybe 10% as busy as what we normally would see. Everything was open (reduced capacity) and in the 10-15 minutes that passed as we sat outside to eat some bakery spoils, we saw maybe half a dozen people walk by.

·
Super Moderator
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Aaahhhh, how Darwinian .... natural selection at it's finest. May they all catch it. Pandemic, what pandemic? It's no wonder the US is leading the world in cases and deaths.

Missouri has asked them to "Self-quarantine" ... pfft. Like that's going to happen.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Are we going to take bets on all the upcoming number of cases here in two weeks?

I'll start the new case bets at 65,000.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,350 Posts
I’ll never understand the desire some people have to pack themselves in with thousands of other people, with or without a god damn pandemic. Can’t say I’m surprised though, everyone’s starting to crack at this point.

Most of the people that were packing Indiana beaches we’re from the Chicago area since the city beaches remained closed.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum, the wife and I went to a Japanese marketplace near where her apartment was in Columbus while she was in med school. Normally on weekends and holidays it's packed.

Not yesterday - it was maybe 10% as busy as what we normally would see. Everything was open (reduced capacity) and in the 10-15 minutes that passed as we sat outside to eat some bakery spoils, we saw maybe half a dozen people walk by.

View attachment 38423
I'm also willing to bet that as with most asian markets, face mask coverage was probably near 100%. Amiright?
-g

A few pages back we had an interesting discussion about whether or not this pandemic hurts democrats or republicans more. Apparently, there have been a few articles this weekend that state that population density trumps everything and this is hurting red states more than blue states. Even if it kills old people more than anything else (FACT), the old lady in the coastal city is more likely to vote dem vs republican.

I wonder if this is why our incredibly partisan president doesn't give a ****.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,452 Posts
I'm also willing to bet that as with most asian markets, face mask coverage was probably near 100%. Amiright?
-g
The signage said recommended. There was I think only one group of people we ran across who weren't wearing masks; they were all on top of each other in the grocery store. We kept our distance, lol.

The more local Asian grocery we visit does require masks. Basically signs say "No mask, no service. Buy a mask at customer service if needed".

I do hate how people (politicians and otherwise) have been politicizing all of this too. Granted there will always be people on both sides of a discussion, but the hostility I've seen from people who are translating voluntary, and in most cases minor/easily adhered to, PPE/hygiene/distancing guidelines into a left vs. right argument makes my stomach turn. Are we so polarized that we can't agree to save lives together?

·
Super Moderator
17,350 Posts
Not surprising or difficult to deduce that would be the case, when you leave your dwelling for work you’re immediately thrust into a shared hallway, packed into an elevator, out on the streets among the masses, getting into public transportation or a ride share car that a dozen other strangers just were spreading their germs. If you’re somewhere more rural or a out of the way suburb you’re only coming into contact with your own sanitary property and transportation and it’s up to you to be cautious at work or at the store to avoid carrying it back.

But the question regarding the partisan politics of quarantine isnt what areas are or at more risk of being affected from poor social distancing, but who’s carrying the disease into the areas? It’s far more likely that a Democrat traveling from an epicenter like New York City to a rural republican area or exburb in the middle of the country are going to transmit the virus to them than the other way around. Social distancing is far more important to abide by in dense blue cities, avoiding catching it from mostly their political peers, Trump and republicans not caring should have no effect on these places, it would hurt the areas that support them who had a patient zero from a epicenter pass through.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Are we going to take bets on all the upcoming number of cases here in two weeks?

I'll start the new case bets at 65,000.
CDB - So you are saying using the current CDC reported test #s, the # of active cases will climb from 25K/day to 65K/day? That would be a 2.6x jump from yesterday.

I'm not saying that this impossible but that's pretty ambitious considering a) the federal govt has a vested interest in keeping #s low and b) they aren't exactly ramping up to test everyone. Possible, but not probable that there will be a proven increase of that much.

US currently performing approx 300K tests/day across the whole damn country
Side note:

In comparison, one city in China, Wuhan, ramped up to 1.47M tests/day when they decided to test all 10M residents as a way to nip the most recent flare-up.

Also, people just aren't willing to get tested.

TLDR: I think the # of positive cases will climb beyond 25K/day. I would go under 65K though.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
CDB - So you are saying using the current CDC reported test #s, the # of active cases will climb from 25K/day to 65K/day? That would be a 2.6x jump from yesterday.
Based on the pictures / links you posted of how people were not social distancing after things began to open up for the Memorial Day weekend, I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped up that high here in two weeks time.

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
I'll bet that in two weeks it's more than doubled; that's kinda how it works.

·
Super Moderator
12,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
Yeah, without naming names ... the "government" has taken a real ostrich head in the sand approach to the whole thing in order to "Get the economy going at any cost."
  • Minimize testing - Because we don't want to know the real number
  • Fudge the numbers - Because we don't want people to know how bad it is. I.E. the case in Florida that I highlighted earlier. Also, in order to keep the numbers down, nursing home cases and fatalities are no longer being included in the totals. Here's one example from Illinois.

It's "Don't test, don't tell." a la "Don't ask, don't tell."

It's going to be very interesting to see how the repercussions of this weekends free for all will play out. Exponential spread is the rule not the exception. I'm not going to venture a number of additional cases in the next three to four weeks. As a rule of thumb, I take the "official" number of cases and fatalities and multiply by three to get a feel for the real numbers.

The real tell will be how the hospitals fill up in the next two to three weeks ... Tick tock, tick tock.

"Nursing homes account for at least a third of the nation’s 76,000 Covid-19 fatalities, and in 14 states they’re more than half the total, according to Kaiser Family Foundation data from Thursday. Those numbers, though, are woefully incomplete because 18 states aren’t disclosing such data and those that are provide varying levels of information."

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
This website seems to do their best to tease out the real info for others to analyze.
For example, they clean up the data obfusicated by FL:
"We report using the raw data provided by FDOH but we include both Florida residents and non-residents. On March 26, the dashboard stopped including non-residents in its visible counts, but they're still tracked behind the scenes.
On March 21, negatives jumped due to a methodology change: tests of people not investigated as PUIs are now included. As of May 15, Florida is reporting both specimens (PCR and antibody) and people tested. We report positives and negatives based on the number of people tested. "

Bottom Line: plenty of people are making it their primary job to clean up the data despite the garbage being thrown in by our govts.

IMO, the real # will be shown in the excess mortality rate. These are the # of deaths "above normal" for this time/yr happening in 2020. Sure, there could be other causes for these deaths (maybe people didn't get treatment as quickly as they should b/c they were terrified of hospitals or other underlying health issues that they succumbed to b/c of covid). While you cannot lay the blame for ALL of these excess deaths on covid, some portion (IMO most) can be blamed on covid and in the US, on our govts un-timely response.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I do hate how people (politicians and otherwise) have been politicizing all of this too. Granted there will always be people on both sides of a discussion, but the hostility I've seen from people who are translating voluntary, and in most cases minor/easily adhered to, PPE/hygiene/distancing guidelines into a left vs. right argument makes my stomach turn. Are we so polarized that we can't agree to save lives together?
I still fail to see why even if someone doesn't believe in PPE/hygiene/distancing, they think this request somehow attacks their masculinity, freedoms, or some **** like that. Even if you don't think a mask does anything, putting this stuff on puts other people at ease. So why not, just to get along in society, just do it?

IMO, this isn't about politics. This is about balancing "individual freedoms/desires" vs the good of society. I know 'Merica is all about individuality but its pretty surprising when you see other countries I've visited seem to work a lot better towards the "collective good". The longer this **** goes, the more selfish it seems like people are becoming. Of course, it's hard to compare any place as heterogeneous as the US to someplace like Thailand or Japan (only country I've ever been to where people stand patiently in line waiting for taxis in a rainstorm -- anywhere). Israelis can be pretty damned individualistic as well but when it comes to existential threats, they do seem to be much better at banding together than Americans.

·
Super Moderator
17,350 Posts
I’m not a phycologist, but IMO the people against it are of the mindset of you give them an inch they take a mile slippery slope scenario. Right wing people are arguably more prone to that these days since they tend to be 2A supporters, and they can cite dates of the laws that they perceive as an erosion of that liberty over the last 100 years. Applying that sort of defensive logic to mask wearing is simply how their brains respond. But, I know just as many cynical of masks on the democrat side of political lines, and historically there have been numerous examples of democratic values being eroded as well, using “the good of society” as their excuses. Bad dark **** has been perpetrated in the history of this country for “the good of society” as they saw at the time. Moral of the story, people are just self interested assholes and there will always be individuals or groups that will be a monkey wrench thrown into the gears. Ever notice EVERYONE of any political affiliation cites 1984 when they feel their liberty is being threatened?

Personally speaking, if(and it’s not that crazy of a thought) gasoline cars were outlawed or were made deliberately difficult to operate in my lifetime, because of the greater good, I can tell you with absolute certainty I will be among the monkey wrench assholes against it. To paraphrase Chris Rock, I’m not saying I agree with the non-mask wearers... But I understand.

Also as a glasses wearer, the masks suck ass. I have done every trick there is to keep them fogging up to one degree of success or another but nothing solves it totally.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
As someone who is adamantly opposed to the masks, I’ll chime in here. NJ has required masks everywhere for several weeks now. I will tell you that I have gone where I want, into whatever stores I want, and I have not put a mask on once. In all that time, I have only had one person say anything about it. Whenever I walk into small family owned businesses without a mask, you want to know what they invariably do? They take off their own mask, and smile, and there is a clear sense of relief that they can have a normal human interaction without fear or putting up a charade.

At my shop, when people come in, and see that I am not wearing a mask, almost all of them also remove their mask, if they were wearing one. A few have left it on, and that’s fine, I’m not going to say anything about it or lecture anyone, but for the argument that wearing a mask sets people’s minds at ease, I have seen far more minds set at ease by me not wearing a mask.

As to whether wearing a mask is effective or not, I don’t know. At first they said nobody should be wearing masks and to save them for the medical professionals. Then they said everyone had to have a mask, but there were no standards on what type of masks. Some people are wearing dust masks, which don’t fit tight around the face. Some people are wearing bandanas, which are loose at the bottom. Some people are using a paper towel with rubber bands taped to it. I saw one guy in the grocery store wearing his wife’s pink headband as a mask. You can’t tell me all of these different methods are equally effective, and most of the actual masks I do see worn are being worn incorrectly (not fitting flush against the face, or only using one of the 2 straps that hold it on).

If this was a job site where masks were required, and workers were wearing the masks improperly, or using a bandana tied around their face instead of the correct type of mask, etc, there is no way that would pass an OSHA inspection, but for this virus that is supposedly such a threat, anything will do. What that tells me is that the mask issue has little if anything to do with safety, and everything to do with compliance. The government issues an order, and you must comply. It is unpatriotic to disagree. It is insensitive to question. And it is reckless to disobey. You must comply! That to me is the danger. It isn’t that the mask in particular is a violation of my rights, and it certainly isn’t a matter of it being easy or difficult because the easiest thing to do would be to comply, wear the mask, fit in, and be like everyone else.

Believe me, it is much harder to walk into a store without the mask, hold my head up high, and smile at the people who look at me in confusion about what I am doing or why. I do it not because it is easy, but because I feel it is the right thing to do, and it is important to show people a better way. Fear is no way to live, and in the midst of all this, many people have forgotten that, although some seem to be coming back to their senses lately. Mindless compliance is no way to live. We are humans, not dogs. Fear coupled with mindless compliance are the makings of a fascist state. It isn’t a matter of “give them an inch they take a mile”. The executive order mandating what you must do in my place of business or vice-versa is clearly the mile and not the inch. The only reason that they have gotten away with it is by playing off fear. Therefore, if you don’t want this country to become a fascist state, it is vitally important that you not be afraid, and that you not be compliant. That is how I see it, and that is why, to me, the benefit of peaceful public non-compliance in this matter far outweighs the potential risks.

401 - 420 of 422 Posts