TCCoA Forums banner

421 - 440 of 472 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,524 Posts
The government issues an order, and you must comply. It is unpatriotic to disagree. It is insensitive to question. And it is reckless to disobey. You must comply!
I respect your position, but humbly disagree with several of your points, particularly with this section. Here in Ohio it's recommended that consumers wear masks, but not mandated. My wife and I choose to wear them in public when we interact with others, or when we interact with close family. While working I do not, as I don't interact with people much at all - if I do I'll put it on. It is definitely inconvenient and uncomfortable.

It's not mindless compliance - it's consideration of the fact that because both my wife and I work and interact with many people still, that we could unknowingly be carriers and infect someone we interact with. My parents, her parents, her grandmother etc. who would almost certainly die if they were to get infected. Mask type doesn't matter as much for helping keep others near you from getting it via the vapors from your speech/respiration - N95/P95 etc. would be needed to prevent you from getting it from someone not wearing a mask.

It's not out of fear, it is out of respect for that fact that we don't know everything, and would rather not take reckless risks out of arrogance or pride that we are not asymptomatic carriers and put loved ones in harm's way. My brother, who still lives with my parents, took a voluntary extended leave of absence from his employer because they are ignoring the social distancing/hygiene rules and feels the same way.

Wearing a mask because state/local/federal officials are asking us to does not mean the country is going to turn into a fascist state. Now, mindlessly taking everyting one hears at face value without checking the facts behind the reports... is putting our feet on that path. Unfortunately many people do just that.... :(

·
Registered
2,922 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
55 Posts
MadMikey sounds like my brother 😊 I'm cheerfully wearing a mask/face covering in case I'm infectious and don't know it, knowing it's hardly a guarantee I won't infect anyone, but a simple method of hopefully reducing the risk to others. My brother (who suspects that my head gasket is going) volunteered to drive to Arkansas from Pennsylvania with his wife and daughter, rent a trailer, pick up my aunt's car, drive it here to NC, get my Freestyle (which he was already planning on taking back with him to fix the CVT)... Anyway, I said it was a lot of trouble for him to go to, and he said he believed if it was on his power to do good that he should do it, so I started laughing about the fact that he would go to ALL THAT TROUBLE for me, but won't wear a mask to make his neighbors less fearful.

Just because somebody won't wear a mask doesn't make him a bad guy. My brother and my parents are the salt of the earth, and I've told them my reasons for wearing a mask, but they don't see it that way, and for whatever reason it is that important to them. I don't understand, but I know them too well to believe it's because they don't care about other people. They absolutely do.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
55 Posts

This is my county. I could walk to Tanger. The question is: are they saying it's just the nursing home that's causing the jump? Because a lot of my Facebook friends are looking at the headline and saying it was the gathering at Ace Speedway. I guess time will tell.

My church opened back up this past Sunday. About half of us kept our faces covered throughout, and households were spaced out, but we did sing (I can't imagine worship without singing, fwiw). We are still doing a Livestream, but it was good to be back in that place, not alone (my kids were with their dad last weekend). I would have voted for meeting outside, but we have high ceilings in the sanctuary, and nobody was on top of anybody else... Again, time will tell. I'd rather risk infection at church than at a racetrack, though 😂

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
We won't see the cases from the Ace speedway race for about two weeks. So about June 5 or so. Yes, according to the article you linked the nursing home deaths are one factor in the rise.

Stay safe Lenise.

In related news, South Korea has closed their schools and more (again). This isn't going away any time soon! People need to take it serious.

Reactions: Lenise

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
55 Posts
Isn't two weeks the upper end of incubation time? I would think most cases would appear before then, but there's also the question of when do they get serious enough for people to seek treatment or cause hospitalization. Still so much we don't understand!

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Here's some interesting reading from the CDC. DO pay careful attention to the verbiage and the footnotes ...

Fatality rate, anywhere from .2% to 1%, best guess is .4%.

But do read over it!

RwP

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Between the opening of the economy and the protests / rioting, these are all only going to exponentially increase contagion rate of COVID-19. At what extent, we'll find out in two weeks.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Texas, Oregon, and AZ spike after opening up

On Texas, this article highlights that the % increase EXCEEDS just the % increase in testing (more tests, more positives will be found) . Testing in Texas increased by 36% over the past week, while the number of confirmed infections rose by 51%.

Utah spike

Vermont spike

Iowa spike

Not to be left out, CA spike
CA is also starting to open up.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Good Morning America - The spikes continue across 20 states and PR.

AZ hospitals told to activate emergency coronavirus plans

Q: For those of you in states which are opening up, are you folks going out more now?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Does wearing a mask and gloves to lunch at a drive in window count?

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Hell no we're not going out more. We're still ordering like crazy from Amazon and Whole Foods. Also getting our groceries from Walmart curbside pickup and all of our fast food orders to go. You won't find me in a movie theater, at a concert or say a ... ahem, political rally. But hey, if that's your thing, knock yourself out ... possibly permanently.

The "cognitive dissonance and distortion of reality" is more frightening than the virus itself. The truth is in 22 states there is NO flattening of the curve.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
For those going into work.
- My wife's company is one of those working on a rapid covid test from saliva which doesn't require "touching your brain" through your nose cavity (exaggeration but that's how deep the swab feels apparently) so they are ramping up and going back to work more often (by expanding lab space to account for distancing requirements). They have ALSO started testing everyone every 2 weeks using a third party lab which already has certification. Apparently, it costs ~$150/person every 2 weeks and is viable because their company is well funded and they dont' have that many employees. Results are shared within 24-48 hrs.

Q: Have you folks heard of other companies going to regular covid testing? If you know of a company looking for this service, PM me and I'll send you the details of the service my wife's company used (based in SoCal even though we are in the Bay Area).

I suspect this kind of business will be a new regular expense for key industries (ex: healthcare, some military/govt, pharma, and maybe education). It probably should be implemented in police/meat packing but I suspect that people aren't ready to spend that kind of money just yet.
---
Q: For those of you with kids, have they talked about what they might/will do if necessary this fall? What communication have you folks received? I'm curious how other cities/states are planning for the future.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,524 Posts
None up here, at least, none that I am aware of in my industry.

As far as what we're preparing for in the fall, most of my clients (all K12 institutions - some public districts, some private schools) are preparing for a hybrid model of remote and onsite learning. We are all hoping it will be as close to normal as possible, but I don't think any of us believe it will be "normal".

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
Not yet, but I expect that COVID-19, along with drug and alcohol screening, will become a regular part of my pre-job on-boarding screening to each project that I work this fall. I'll keep you posted. I'll be interested to see if there's also testing for COVID anti-bodies as well as active COVID when/if the screening is implemented.

421 - 440 of 472 Posts