TCCoA Forums banner

441 - 460 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
None up here, at least, none that I am aware of in my industry.

As far as what we're preparing for in the fall, most of my clients (all K12 institutions - some public districts, some private schools) are preparing for a hybrid model of remote and onsite learning. We are all hoping it will be as close to normal as possible, but I don't think any of us believe it will be "normal".
I have some friends who are teachers/librarians and they all say to expect a hybrid approach for school this fall.
- I'm not sure how the public schools are going to handle it here in SF; from what I can see anecdotally, the private schools seem to have been better able to react because they either already had enough devices to allocate chromebooks/ipads to eery student AND/OR were already using tech in the classrooms so moving towards an async online-based model was easier.

- One item that seems concerning to me is that SFUSD's kindergartens operate at a 22:1 student to teacher ratio. The private schools pretty much drop that ratio down to 6-8:1 so they have the manpower to operate at the ~10:1 ratio the CDC is recommending for student:teacher ratio for indoor activities. I'm not sure where public schools will find the teaching staff.

This MN report highlights the 10:1 recommendation for in-person learning; I'm sure other states are around a similar ratio.
https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/schools/socialdistance.pdf

• My son is entering K next year and the school we are likely to send him to is already doing some rapid construction to break down their common areas into smaller rooms to house the cohorts of 10 students and 1 teacher each. Luckily, it seems they just barely have enough room to make this work (not a guarantee in expensive SF).
  • They are also buying individual desks (which can be linked into larger tables later) and will have enough ipads for K/1st and chromebooks for 2nd-8th.
  • Their current plan is 3 teachers per grade will be F2F with the 4th one being a dedicated virtual teacher for students who cannot attend in person or find themselves unable to continue F2F. Enrichment teachers (music, PE, etc) will either be outside or virtual.
  • I'm glad that they are planning this stuff out; they haven't committed to regular testing of staff (or a requirement to be tested to attend F2F) just yet but I'd bet this is coming on the horizon.
  • With the budget cuts expected nationwide for public schools of 15-25%, I am wonder how much the various public schools will be able to handle this. I hope that the federal govt injects the money these schools need but considering that DeVos is pushing the current pandemic money the Feds have already given the states to be shared with private schools, regardless of need. THAT's not what public institutions need.

Public or private though, I suspect this will be toughest for the youngest kids because they don't have the attention span and/or don't have a relationship with the teachers/other students yet OR for people with older kids who aren't "into" learning. I suspect we'll be doing some amount of "home schooling" in the next year.

-g

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
Schools are already getting a ton of cash from the government from the CARES act. We've had one school go from 1:1 to 1:2 (two devices for each student) with the grant funds, and another is looking at buying enough devices to get them from 2:1 to 1:1 (about 1000 add'l devices). This is one private school and one public district, though both have an impoverished demographic so they get a lot of government assistance the more affluent districts don't get. So there's money out there; it depends on what the individual school wants to do with it.

In general all our schools have enough devices to send home to any family/student in need, even if they were/are not 1:1. Only one small private client (who teaches based on a "classical" model of education) was grossly underequipped or prepared for virtual instruction when things hit the fan in March.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I hate DeVos for various reasons, but that's for a different conversation / thread.

Anyway, my kids' school district provided us with a Chromebook for each of my kids and were asking everyone who was receiving a Chromebook if we had / had adequate internet service. For those students that lack proper internet service, my kids' school district went as far as providing us with MiFi devices.

As for returning to school, there is nothing concrete yet from my kids' school district. We did receive an email last week stating that the school was looking at all possibilities, some of which were:
  • Rotating F2F + Distance Learning (DL)
  • Half day F2F + DL
  • Continued DL only
  • Full on F2F (I guess the school district got a backlash on this one though after it was mentioned)
I believe there were two more options presented, but they escape me at the moment.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Well I'm glad that you are seeing enough devices and the different learning models are discussed. I heard about some kids getting MIFI devices if needed so its encouraging to hear that public schools are doing the same. That one part is covered at least.

My librarian friend tells me that when kids go with the distance learning model, the problem is that they aren't all doing homework at the same time so it all comes in asynchronously. So the teachers are constantly tied up giving feedback on the work done by the students as it comes in so there is less time for the teacher to handle one-on-one or one-to-small group teaching/instruction. Now, this is with a school with <10 students to one teacher. how this is supposed to work with 15-20 or more kids to one teacher is beyond me. I suspect it means that the instruction part is handled by the parents and the teachers are there for feedback/evaluation. God help you if you have a day job to do at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
And ... Surprise (not Surprised) the re-openings are leading to re-closings among surging cases. Remember when I said Houston would be the next hotspot? Well, now it is. Texas and Florida are shutting back down. Arizona is currently running out of hospital beds and could be overwhelmed by July.

People are stupid. You can't just wish this virus away. I'm just glad I can stay home and order out. It's so bad here in the US that the EU is on the verge of banning US travelers from traveling into the EU when they reopen their borders next week.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
We had our monthly regional lunch this afternoon; since we've been permitted to return to duty onsite, we've been meeting at client sites, setting up large rooms with tables that are arranged in large open circles and then ordering in instead of eating out.

As I was preparing, I was observing some behaviors while there were a few of them working together that are the exact opposite of what they should be doing to minimize risk. At one point a client came up and was practically on top of them; I can't really blame my guys for that but if they were wearing masks and distancing from each other, the client would probably have been more cautious too. I had to scold them for that after lunch. I could tell that wanted to hear it, and as things have started opening up people have gotten sloppy - so it was a message they needed to hear.

This is our generation's polio, measles, chicken pox, rubella... pick one. Until >80% of the population is vaccinated and we've got herd immunitiy, things won't "stay" normal. The anti-vaxxer crowd is gonna be the next group of people protesting en masse!

Reactions: Grog6

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
The lack of normalcy has nothing to do with herd immunity and everything to do with fear mongering. This virus is not even in the same league as polio, or measles, or rubella, and to put it in the same category is continuing the fear mongering that got us here in the first place. And I am by no means an anti-vaxxer or a protester, but there is a big difference between vaccines for those diseases, which have been in widespread use for decades with little to no side effects, and a vaccine for a glorified flu that will be rushed to market, given a blanked pass by the FDA, and the way things are going, mandated by the government to open back up with the same justification they used to shut everything down in the first place, individual rights don’t matter because this is so much worse than anything we have faced before, when the numbers clearly show that it is nowhere near as bad. Personally, I’d lick Petri dishes full of covid long before trying whatever vaccine they come up with, and you can rest assured I wouldn’t say that about any of the vaccines that are standard procedure for kids.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
Houston hospitals now in crisis mode. There's been a quadrupling of cases bad enough to require hospitalization since Memorial day weekend. I wonder why? /sarcasm

Also, no big surprise but the "official" U.S. COVID death toll is a "Substantial under count"

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Also, no big surprise but the "official" U.S. COVID death toll is a "Substantial under count"

Excess deaths is a pretty important statistical analysis. There may be plenty of arguments to be made using anecdotal evidence about whether or not great aunt sally's death should be counted if she tested covid positive but also had stage 4 lung cancer. However, in aggregate across all populations, something has contributed to 28% more excess deaths from March 1st - May 30th in 2020 vs other years.

Potential Reasons:
  • Covid is nasty and really hurts people
  • C8 corvette is released causing increased traffic accidents by both drivers and people rubbernecking because it looks so damned cool
  • Release of Tiger King of netflix giving inspiration for cats, which are already assholes, to attack their weaker, older owners
  • Too many young people are suiciding b/c they are day trading using their RH accts and losing their asses (happened to one poor soul -- but they called RH out in their farewall letter to friends).
  • Aliens?
  • 2012 apocalypse/end of days, only a few years late because we are bad at Mayan math
  • Uhm, Covid.
Disregarded Reasons
- Price is Right going into reruns driving old people into boredom so they shuffle off their mortal coil sooner to see Bob Barker waiting for them to spin the wheel in heaven. Reasons why disregarded
1) While the show stopped filming on March 30th, they are still airing episodes from December since the show isn't aired live so they have plenty of backlog left. Potential 2nd Wave contributor in a few months!
2) It turns out that Bob Barker isn't dead (but old people don't know how to use the internet anyway so they might not know this).

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
Excess deaths is a pretty important statistical analysis. There may be plenty of arguments to be made using anecdotal evidence about whether or not great aunt sally's death should be counted if she tested covid positive but also had stage 4 lung cancer. However, in aggregate across all populations, something has contributed to 28% more excess deaths from March 1st - May 30th in 2020 vs other years.

Potential Reasons:
  • Covid is nasty and really hurts people
  • C8 corvette is released causing increased traffic accidents by both drivers and people rubbernecking because it looks so damned cool
  • Release of Tiger King of netflix giving inspiration for cats, which are already assholes, to attack their weaker, older owners
  • Too many young people are suiciding b/c they are day trading using their RH accts and losing their asses (happened to one poor soul -- but they called RH out in their farewall letter to friends).
  • Aliens?
  • 2012 apocalypse/end of days, only a few years late because we are bad at Mayan math
  • Uhm, Covid.
Disregarded Reasons
- Price is Right going into reruns driving old people into boredom so they shuffle off their mortal coil sooner to see Bob Barker waiting for them to spin the wheel in heaven. Reasons why disregarded
1) While the show stopped filming on March 30th, they are still airing episodes from December since the show isn't aired live so they have plenty of backlog left. Potential 2nd Wave contributor in a few months!
2) It turns out that Bob Barker isn't dead (but old people don't know how to use the internet anyway so they might not know this).
Ha ha. :p Very entertaining write up. I especially like the rise due to C8 rubberneckers. And who knew!? Bob Barker isn't really dead yet?! Alas, I'll go with the first and last bullet points. All other factors being the same ... I'm going with the introduction of COVID for the 19% from norm increase and 28% increase from any cause for the three month time period March 1 through May 30, 2020 vs. the same time period in any other given year. A statistical rise in the number of deaths over the norm is hardly anecdotal evidence.

BTW, You forgot to add a bullet point for the rise in US casualties due to the Russian bounty. I'm sure that alone was good for at least 0.5% rise over the norm.

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Here in California, Governor Newsom is getting set to reimpose stay at home orders. This time though, it's going to be on a county by county basis. Riverside and San Bernardino counties are on the list which is where I live and work respectively.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Gunn, I'm for 3 and 5.

:)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
This worries me a lot, esp for my parents and friends in Austin.

Arizona: Over the past several days, nearly one in four coronavirus tests has been positive, a rate far higher than any other state. The positivity rate is a measure of how widespread the disease is in the community.

If a quarter of all those tested are positive, this means that covid is prevalent in a LOT more of the general population than currently estimated.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #454
The EU has certainly taken notice.

Wow, hope your parents and friends in Austin stay safe and healthy. I have family in the Phoenix area.

Yes, it's bad out there and getting worse, and yet some ostrich wants to stick their head in the sand and pretend that its not as bad as it is by telling "my people to slow the testing down please."

Slow down the chance to save lives, slow down our understanding of where COVID is and how it's spreading. Yeah, that's the answer. Pfft.

Anyway, I still can't get over the fact that Bob Barker is still alive. I'm so thankful. We just learned last week that Lawrence Welk passed away. Mildred and I are still getting over the shock of that ... Heaven forbid anything happen to dear Bob.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
well, it's gotten so bad in Austin that vanilla ice had to cancel his 4th of July concert for safety reasons - leaving all 85 of his fans who bought tickets devastated.

·
Administrator
8,216 Posts
I just found out that Jimmie Johnson tested positive (asymptomatic) after his wife tested positive after experiencing allergy-like symptoms.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
I saw that yesterday. Jimmy won't be racing at Indy today.

Also among celebrities D.L. Hughley is infected. He collapsed while performing at a club in Nashville, TN on June 19. The reported cause was exhaustion subsequent tests revealed he is infected with COVID-19.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Don Jr's GF Kim Guilfoyle, aka the ex-wife of Gavin Newsom, governor of CA, tested positive before the political circus @ Mt Rushmore yesterday.
Whoops.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Unfortunately this past Thursday my wife got bit by a patient (a 15 y/o cat in kidney failure - too at risk for vaccines and no dentals in recent memory; cats' mouths are very much loaded with bacteria that are nasty so as you can imagine, this particular animal is quite a bacteria factory) and has had to spend the last couple days at the hospital. Fortunately she tested negative for covid but watching them stuff that thing down her nose, and her reaction to it, was very painful to me. I get a temperature and verbal screening on my way in. Hopefully she's cleared to come home tomorrow...

They only just opened the hospital back up for visitors - one designated visitor per patient per day. Masks mandatory - but then again Cleveland annpounced required masks for everyone yesterday. This afternoon I walked to a nearby shopping center to get some lunch and a few other odds-and-ends she asked for, and they had bouncers in front of the grocery store making sure everyone was masked prior to entry.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Wow! Grocery store bouncers! I never in my wildest dreams ever thought I’d ever see those three words put together!

441 - 460 of 474 Posts