TCCoA Forums banner

941 - 960 of 991 Posts

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,395 Posts
Going ballistic everywhere! State is getting ready to open up the field hospitals that were around in the spring.

Wash those hands! :whistle:

Joe

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #942
It's finally gotten bad enough in ND that they've instituted a mask mandate.

It's really bad out there - everywhere. You guys stay safe!

Among the developments:
  • North Dakota issued new statewide requirements, including a face-mask mandate.
  • Oregon ordered a two-week “freeze” starting Wednesday, requiring businesses to cease in-person operations.
  • New Mexico's new stay-at-home order will go into effect Monday.
  • Six governors from northeastern states are holding an "emergency summit" this weekend to coordinate efforts in response to a rise in cases across the region.
  • At least 13 states have hit new records in daily cases.
  • Texas may reach 20,000 Covid-19 deaths on Sunday (Tomorrow)
  • California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued new travel guidelines requiring people who return from nonessential, out-of-state or country travel to self-quarantine for 14 days.
North Dakota's Republican Gov. Doug Burgum announced late Friday night that "the State Health Officer, with my full support, has issued an order requiring face coverings to be worn in all indoor businesses and public settings and outdoor public settings where physical distancing isn't possible."

The order will remain effective until Dec. 13.

In addition, all bars and restaurants in North Dakota will be required starting Monday to close at 10p.m. and operate at 50 percent capacity, as long as that does not exceed 150 people. All banquet, ballroom and event venues will be limited to 25 percent of maximum occupancy, and school winter sports and extracurricular activities will be suspended.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
476 Posts
So as you guys know, I live in Iowa on which had been really good, then relatively bad, and it's now an absolute $hit-show. The city 45 minutes from me is #1 in the country for positivity rate, and where I live is #12 (Waterloo/Cedar Falls). Scary stuff. Lots of dealing with my employees having it, possible exposures, etc. Overall I feel I'm being very safe, but it's getting more scary by the day.

Anyway, I went Pheasant hunting this morning and then went to Pet Supplies Plus to give my dog a bath. It wasn't too busy, but it's around many other stores, Walmart, Farm fleet, target, spring goods stores, etc, etc. The shear number of people out was astonishing. Like 1 week before Christmas numbers. I don't get it.

Maybe everyone is over being on a pandemic and their "give a $hit" is gone? Setting this anywhere around you all?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #944
Well, as I work as an essential service provider, I've been out quite a bit lately with work. In the past month and a half I've been to:
  • The Charlotte Airport (CLT)
  • The Atlanta Airport (ATL)
  • The Minneapolis Airport (MSP)
  • The Las Vegas Airport (LAS)
  • The Miami Airport (MIA)
  • The Las Vegas strip - Reeked of pot! LOL but anyway, yeah, it was about 50/50 masked/unmasked individuals walking around. I've never been to the strip before and I didn't stay long so I can't say whether or not it was more or less crowded than usual. I'd venture to say less crowded as there were no shows happening. All Vegas shows are canceled until further notice.
  • South Beach Miami - It was virtually deserted at the time of my visit
  • Homestead/Florida City, FL - As part of the Miami/Dade metro area and one of THE COVID hot spots in Florida I was very impressed with the amount of people masked and masked properly in public at WalMart and the Publix grocery stores that I visited. The hotel also had a strict mask policy in elevators and public areas.
  • The Florida Keys - The Keys were relatively uncrowded. Mostly locals with a few brave tourists around. At the few outdoor restaurants that I did stop at no one was wearing a mask. One place was more strict about masks than the other and did insist that if you weren't seated that you be masked. The posters on the wall above every table read "Stand up, Mask up." I was pleased to see that.
The airports were relatively busy, nothing like the desolation that I saw in March and April though.

To address your observation, it is getting into the holiday season after all. I might also speculate that some people are stocking up in anticipation of another lock down. I did notice that the paper product section of a WalMart that I stopped in at in the Las Vegas area was picked clean. I guess people are still stock piling toilet paper?

There were a mix of mask wearers in every location. There were those who were wearing their masks properly, those who were wearing their mask under their nose (nose exposed), those where were wearing their mask on their chin with nose and mouth exposed (I call these Chin diapers). Then, there were those who flat out weren't even wearing a mask and didn't even have one hanging off of an ear or around their necks. The last two groups piss me off. I give those people a wide berth where I can. I even saw one couple walking through the Las Vegas airport wearing only flimsy face shields. Those things don't do sh!t to prevent the spread of COVID and are only theater.

Then there were a few rare others who are extra paranoid and were wearing a mask, a face shield and disposable rubber or latex gloves. I only saw a few of those people at some of the airports.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Yeah. The lockdown stuff is getting to people here and it's as busy as ever here. People, for the most part, are using masks and social distancing where possible. There are a few of those though, that could care less and just wear a mask around their chin in public spaces. I'm not going to be full "Ken" and tell them what to do. If they want to be the next statistic, they can be the next statistic.

Oh, and my MIL was recently exposed to someone COVID positive. She found out Thursday night. Funny story on that. She's on furlough from her employer at the moment. The last few weeks she's been spending time with her BFF. For sh!ts and giggles, the MIL's BFF went with her daughter to get tested in order to bring down the numbers. Turns out that the MIL's BFF was COVID positive.

That said, two days earlier, the MIL came over to drop off some things for us. She was here maybe 15min. Like I've said before, my work requires to interact with people from our various offices. People of offices where there have been multiple COVID positive cases. Then, remember my wife works medical industry, to which she herself has had a few COVID positive contacts. That said, my wife and I are doing our best to stay safe, but we're of the mentality now of "it's only a matter of time".

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
FWIW, I'd say 90%+ are wearing masks here. Cases known to me are from weddings, parties, daycare and family. The first two obviously where alcohol loosens the mind.

This is in more city areas. Smaller towns that number comes down some, but still a majority wearing masks fairly well.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #947
After coming off of the road from my fall outage season I'm preventatively self quarantining in the garage for the next two weeks again so as not to potentially expose my family. As a side benny I'm spending quality time with the Tbird LOL. I washed our Explorer and spent time outside today raking leaves. Tomorrow the Tbird gets a bath and I'll rake more leaves, the lawn needs a mow too.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
So with all the COVID tests, why can't they give an antibody test?

I'm genuinely curious to see if I've already had COVID-19.

After coming off of the road from my fall outage season I'm preventatively self quarantining in the garage for the next two weeks again so as not to potentially expose my family. As a side benny I'm spending quality time with the Tbird LOL. I washed our Explorer and spent time outside today raking leaves. Tomorrow the Tbird gets a bath and I'll rake more leaves, the lawn needs a mow too.
Why not take a COVID test? You'll know beforehand and and won't have to self-quarantine for two weeks.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Why not take a COVID test? You'll know beforehand and and won't have to self-quarantine for two weeks.
  • The tests aren't 100% accurate, especially the rapid ones.
  • cost is typically $150. TM would probably qualify as an essential worker but I'm not sure if they would cover the cost if he's asymptomatic.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Here in SF, as with other places, covid fatigue is setting in. Mask compliance is very high except among the homeless/crazies you see around. Sadly though, you see a lot of outside bars/parklets (temp structures built into parking spaces) filled with folks eating/drinking. I miss dining in restaurants too but not enough to get sick over it. Indoor dining is shuttered again after a spike in infections.

Canada saw a spike from their Thanksgiving and we will see the same for Thanksgiving and Xmas. I remember one discussion about Ireland going into lockdown for 6 weeks in an effort to bend the curve and empty out hospitals before the holidays. This seems nuts to me that we will not see any federal lockdown/mask mandate before EOY 2020. More people are doing to die unnecessarily.

On flying, I know a guy who wears tyvek suits.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Y'all ready for the next big jump in COVID spikes? Just look at the pictures, and you'll see why.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Why do people get together to do things like this and the protests we saw earlier this year? Obvious chance of spreading the virus, zero percent chance of changing anything.

And massive crowds to see any politician, is utterly ridiculous to me anyways. They did the same for Obama(just no pandemic). Fairly certain he nor Trump have been a savior to anyone. Putting yourself at risk to show support is so very stupid. Unless you have billions of course....

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
On flying, I know a guy who wears tyvek suits.
That is funny, I know a guy who picks up greasy dirty Tbird parts wearing a Tie and throws them into the back of a Prius. 🤔

The last time I was at the county jail, there were a couple inmates wearing tyvek suits in the holding cells. I asked if they were involved in some james bond type robbery .. They said the police confiscated their clothes as evidence and gave them the tyvek. 😂

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
  • The tests aren't 100% accurate, especially the rapid ones.
  • cost is typically $150. TM would probably qualify as an essential worker but I'm not sure if they would cover the cost if he's asymptomatic.
The rapid test. That's the one where results are ready in 15min or so, right? The "good" test is the one that scrapes the bottom of your brain through your nose (not literally scraping) and takes a few days?

My employer encourages us to get tested. They have a pop-up tent event about twice a week at various offices for people to get tested. Then there are also various county locations where the public can go get tested as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #955
I was tested in early August prior to surgery to repair my broken collar bone and again in Late September for work. Both came back negative. I paid for the first test my employer paid for the second test. Both were salvia tests. I'm not paying for another test.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I'm surprised your insurance didn't pick up the tab for the first one since it was for a surgery.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I was tested in early August prior to surgery to repair my broken collar bone and again in Late September for work. Both came back negative. I paid for the first test my employer paid for the second test. Both were salvia tests. I'm not paying for another test.
Does NC have any free test options?
SF has several sites which collect no money and offer results pretty quickly.

Boise has similar testing free or reduced price (friend's family got tested for free after his daughter was symptomatic early on in the pandemic)

Ahh found it.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #958
Thanks Gunn! I’ll check that out.

I'm surprised your insurance didn't pick up the tab for the first one since it was for a surgery.
They did. I paid and was reimbursed. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. But they’re not going to pay for a new test every time I come home from work.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Thanks Gunn! I’ll check that out.

They did. I paid and was reimbursed. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. But they’re not going to pay for a new test every time I come home from work.
They should pay 100% every time especially considering the amount of travel you put in. Insurance is a scam even when i don't pay a penny out of pocket for all of it.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
=
They should pay 100% every time especially considering the amount of travel you put in. Insurance is a scam even when i don't pay a penny out of pocket for all of it.
It's not insurance; it's his employer. I'm surprised that they don't test him at the start of every trip (to make sure he's not becoming a super spreader to their clients) BUT testing after he gets home would be a nice benefit as well (to allow him to share time with this family without risk of exposure). I guess if their clients don't require it... and the employees aren't rebelling by not getting it..... they can get away with no testing unless you are symptomatic (like most retail operations).

My wife's company (biotech) tests weekly at their own expense. They do this to prevent an outbreak and the other companies on their campus to the same (I think its a requirement of their landlord / the big biotech company). So far there have been a handful of positive cases (all asymptomatic) AND no incidents of spread within the companies. She does know its always a guy though b/c the reports always seem to show a potential exposure point as being the ... men's restroom.. This testing regimen costs $$$ ($120-150/test X # of employes every week) but it works.
It the costs comes down 10x or 100x, you'd be able to do much more regular testing at other places (like schools).

The big limiting factor is the most accurate are PCR (essentially gene sequencing) which takes lab time which translates to expense.

Antigen (which shows your body fighting an infection -- NOT that you have antibodies -- that's a antibody or serology test) has a much higher rate of false negatives.

941 - 960 of 991 Posts