TCCoA Forums banner

1081 - 1100 of 1136 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Oh man, t
The PE teacher at my sons school died from Covid yesterday.

Oh man, that's not good. Hopefully, it will be a wakeup call to the parents in your town who thought covid was no big deal.

I saw that on Christmas Day, California has hit 0% availability for ICU beds

Now, the actual number is adjusted downwards because there were still 1300 physical beds available but the 0% reported formula accounts for people who are already admitted with covid who may likely need a bed.

If a region is utilizing more than 30% of its ICU beds for COVID-19 positive patients, then its available ICU capacity is adjusted downward by 0.5% for each 1% over the 30% threshold,” according to the CDPH office of public affairs.

Basically, don't do anything to expose yourself now b/c if you get sick now, there's no guarantee anymore of ICU capacity for you.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,083
Ug! Piss poor product management. At least they did the right thing after the fact instead of trying to cover it up.

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,084
That vaccine that was left out of the fridge was no accident!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts

The number of crazies that have come out this year is simply astounding.

BTW, I found out a co-worker/friend of mine in suburban MI caught covid. He's a year younger than me and says it's like a cold but with a loss of taste. The interesting thing he mentioned is that from what he's read, loss of smell/taste is actually a good thing and more indicative of a milder case of 'rona. That was an interesting thing to learn.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,334 Posts

Of course. ******* cheesehead. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
3,420 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,088

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
California has the most COVID cases in the country, hospitals are already beyond capacity, and people are out "celebrating" the countdown to 2021. It's the countdown to them getting and spreading COVID.

We're fucked.

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,090
Here's the year end daily Death Graph. The curve, spikes and waves tell a hell of a story. It's not getting any better.

DailyDeathsGraph2020.png

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,091

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,491 Posts
Assholes! :mad:

Joe

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Two things:

1. The new more infectious strain of COVID is here in SoCal

2. Christmas numbers are starting to spike.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
First day back at work for 2021. Then they shut down the job site and sent everybody home. Apparently, one of the abatement guys got the rona last week so they pulled their whole crew. These are the guys who plastic everything off, run multiple air filters, full bunny suits .. To remove asbestos and lead in a contained environment. Now they need to go through and disinfect the whole school, again. Welcome to 2021. 😂

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,095
I just finished my last job of 2020 and flew home on New Years Eve.

While on that job:
  • My son's PE teacher at his school died of COVID
  • The parents of the man that drives my coworker from his home to the airport (In Florida) both died from COVID a week before he came to the job and his driver's aunt had her funeral the day of his travel to the jobsite.
  • While on site the Assistant District Manager, who was filling in for the Project Manager, who was on vacation at the end of the year, indicated that his father (Whom he had visited at Christmas) had COVID symptoms. He promptly relieved himself from the job to get a test and a THIRD Project manager was brought in.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I took my son in for this regular covid test after every holiday break (his school tests everyone). After thanksgiving, two students tested positive despite the community agreement to avoid unnecessary travel and gatherings out of a student body of ~275. I'm wondering how many they will find today: my guess is 4-5 but I will be pleasantly surprised if its zero.

My doctors friends here and in SF are getting vaccinated. It seems like my parents generation (70+), depending on their area, may get the first round in the next few weeks. What is shocking though that at one of my friends hospitals, a tertiary care facility in the south, is seeing a vaccination rate amongst all hospital staff of <50%. Now, they didn't break this number down between MDs, RNs, and staff but that's crazy; these are people who have regular exposure to covid patients, in communities with high positivity rates, and have seen people experience the ass-end of covid.

This doesn't bode well for the rest of the population. My friends feeling is that with so many people getting vaccinated already worldwide, we'd probably have seen more issues if the vaccine its unsafe. Whether its as effective as claimed is TBD but at the very minimum, its very unlikely to kill you whereas the chances are far better that covid potentially might.

His comment is that if supplies aren't being utilized, some places, like the small TX town where his parents live, they may have vaccines for older people sooner than expected. Your primary care physician wont have it but its worth checking in with your local pharmacy to see the local county policy on distribution. If they don't know, call a different chain.
Rollouts by state - CA is 41/50 in the use of their doses.

PS. The pharmacy tech was arrested pending charges (once they confirm that the vaccines were indeed rendered ineffective).

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,903 Posts
My youngest sister who is an RN in Tennessee said she doesn't intend to get vaccinated in the first batch because she's more concerned about the relatively small/short sample window for the trials. She intends to get it after more people have had the chance to be the "guinea pigs" to prove that it's safe.

Part of me understands that, and while I respect it, I personally will get it as soon as it's made available to me. I have no problems being one of those "guinea pigs" and since I have no natural allergies and have also never experienced a reaction to any drugs or treatments, I'm probably going to be a poster child for "this works fine".

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
My youngest sister who is an RN in Tennessee said she doesn't intend to get vaccinated in the first batch because she's more concerned about the relatively small/short sample window for the trials. She intends to get it after more people have had the chance to be the "guinea pigs" to prove that it's safe.

Part of me understands that, and while I respect it, I personally will get it as soon as it's made available to me. I have no problems being one of those "guinea pigs" and since I have no natural allergies and have also never experienced a reaction to any drugs or treatments, I'm probably going to be a poster child for "this works fine".
I wouldn't have volunteered for the test but now, YSK that 14.5M doses have been given worldwide.
If there were any adverse effects with either vaccine, IMO, it would have been reported by now. This is why I would suggest getting in line if you can.

From a purely selfish game theory standpoint, I shouldn't encourage the uptake so I can get mine sooner but realistically speaking
a) a dose available in TN does me no good and
b) I'm so far back in the line in CA that it generally doesn't matter.

Get in line if you can. Not a real physical line of course. F-that.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,903 Posts
I'm actually working with the rest of my management team to get this planned out as much as possible in advance. We're in group 1B according to the state, which they expect to start rolling out in about 2 weeks. Since we're technically contractors, we might need some paperwork to vouch for us as members of that group as the local health departments won't be administering the vaccine directly to K12 employees - the schools themselves will handle that. So there are more details to hash out. I'm optimistic though. With some luck I might be able to get this behind by before month's end.

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,100
The Governor of NC activated the NC National Guard today to assist with vaccine distribution and administration.

Personally I haven't heard a word from anyone about getting my vaccination although I'm supposed to be higher up on the list. I have another job/trip scheduled for Sunday out to Phoenix. I absolutely hate going to the airports and being crowded in with all the Covidiots. I swear, 80 to 90% of the people traveling by air have no legitimate reason to be doing so. Americans are such self-centered, selfish lot.

When I got to the CLT airport on the 27th it was absolutely packed with people traveling home from Christmas. After checking in I dropped down to the baggage claim level to by-pass the crowds on the ticketing level to make my way over to the TSA Pre-Check entry point. There was no way I was walking through that mob. The American Airlines counter was an absolutely zoo. The crowds were out of control. I absolutely would not have been there if I absolutely didn't have to fly.

This was the zoo that greeted me on December 27 at the American Counter (Fortunately I fly DELTA and it's counter was much, much less crowded.

You can see some of the American agents have taken their masks off in this photo. There's one with her back turned to the camera and another on the phone - sans mask.

1081 - 1100 of 1136 Posts