TCCoA Forums banner

1121 - 1136 of 1136 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
121 Posts
My office mate has been out this week after sniffling and coughing all last week. Tuesday we got word she tested positive for covid-19. Wednesday was the last day we worked last week, and everybody else seems to be doing fine, so here's hoping we all dodged that bullet (we have a small warehouse staff and two other ladies have offices to themselves). Our office is large for two people, and of course we haven't been spending time close to anybody (I've even been wearing a mask in the office for the last several weeks), so I suspect the cat who snuggles with her and with me would be the highest risk. It feels like a high-stakes science experiment 😶

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
My office mate has been out this week after sniffling and coughing all last week. Tuesday we got word she tested positive for covid-19. Wednesday was the last day we worked last week, and everybody else seems to be doing fine, so here's hoping we all dodged that bullet (we have a small warehouse staff and two other ladies have offices to themselves). Our office is large for two people, and of course we haven't been spending time close to anybody (I've even been wearing a mask in the office for the last several weeks), so I suspect the cat who snuggles with her and with me would be the highest risk. It feels like a high-stakes science experiment 😶
Given your exposure, I would seriously consider just going ahead with a test even if you are asymptomatic. This is the only way we as a country will stop the spread.
-g

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,123
I'd be pissed. Do not come into work sick! That's just messed up. The line we use in my company is "Don't be that guy." Just don't be that person that brings sickness into the office and spreads it around to everyone. Especially now! COVID is a killer.

I hope you're ok Lenise. I really do.

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
121 Posts
Yeah, there are signs up telling people not to come to work sick. I wouldn't be that frustrated, except she had lost her sense of taste, so she should have known. I ordered groceries to pick up instead of going into the store and we're all staying home this weekend. At this point, I'm a week and a half from having seen her. I wonder how long you can be a carrier if you don't have any symptoms. I guess none of these questions have really been answered 🙄🤷

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Yeah, there are signs up telling people not to come to work sick. I wouldn't be that frustrated, except she had lost her sense of taste, so she should have known. I ordered groceries to pick up instead of going into the store and we're all staying home this weekend. At this point, I'm a week and a half from having seen her. I wonder how long you can be a carrier if you don't have any symptoms. I guess none of these questions have really been answered 🙄🤷
These questions are easy to answer

Incubation period - how long before you feel sick is 2-14 days but with 1 out of 100 people, the symptoms won't be felt for over 14 days.
You can be infectious 2-3 days before symptoms start. which is why going in when you aren't sure is a terrible idea and your co-worker going to work even before she couldn't taste stuff is a horribly selfish on her part. Clearly, she's not someone you want in your camp after a zombie apocalypse.

its been long enough that even if you are asymptomatic, it should show up on your tests. even if you don't feel bad, it doesn't help if people only get tested when they feel sick because the 30% of those who are positive and asymptomatic will keep spreading this disease through the population

Its good that you ordered your groceries and its goot that you arent meeting anyone outside of your household.
IMO, the question should be if it makes sense to isolate yourself from everyone else in your household or just isolate your household from the rest of the world for the quarantine period. I guess it depends on if your kids can take care of themselves.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,904 Posts
I was informed today that one of the clients with whom I've had the longest working relationship slotted me in their vaccine group. It goes through the City of Cleveland's health department (which is operated separately from the county's) so it might be a little later than some of the other schools distributing, but I'm glad I have one "with my name on it" now, so to speak. My hope is that I'll know when I'm up by the end of the month.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
It seems that most, but not all, of the people I know in the medical field have been vaccinated. Its crazy to me to hear that medical workers across the nation (in Dallas, New Orleans, and FL) are not taking it when offered. They are seeing covid affecting people so its not just statistics for them.

It also appears that reticent medical workers not getting the vaccine is affecting the Bay Area as well. This is from San Jose.
Astounding.

The one ray of light is that if these people are refusing vaccinations, well, they aren't going to let it go to waste. Given how low the vaccination uptake seems to be, some counties are moving forward with vaccination plans to the lower priority groups (beyond just medical staff). My MIL in DEN and my father in Austin were able to get vaccines based on their ages this week (my mom just barely missed the the age cutoff by 1yr). She's in the next group. All THESE folks want it.

23.75M vaccinations have been given worldwide - 9M in china (which uses the Sinovax) - 800K russia - 107K argentina = is 13.8M+ of pfizer/moderna.

If someone was going to have a serious adverse side effect to the vaccine, we'd know about it.

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,128
Fuuck ‘em! I’ll take mine as soon as I can get it. I saw some assshole walking through the airport today without a mask. Not a chin diaper or with it under his nose, the fucker straight up didn’t have a mask anywhere in sight. I wanted to punch him.

Reactions: dDUBb

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,334 Posts
It seems that most, but not all, of the people I know in the medical field have been vaccinated. Its crazy to me to hear that medical workers across the nation (in Dallas, New Orleans, and FL) are not taking it when offered. They are seeing covid affecting people so its not just statistics for them.

It also appears that reticent medical workers not getting the vaccine is affecting the Bay Area as well. This is from San Jose.
Astounding.

The one ray of light is that if these people are refusing vaccinations, well, they aren't going to let it go to waste. Given how low the vaccination uptake seems to be, some counties are moving forward with vaccination plans to the lower priority groups (beyond just medical staff). My MIL in DEN and my father in Austin were able to get vaccines based on their ages this week (my mom just barely missed the the age cutoff by 1yr). She's in the next group. All THESE folks want it.

23.75M vaccinations have been given worldwide - 9M in china (which uses the Sinovax) - 800K russia - 107K argentina = is 13.8M+ of pfizer/moderna.

If someone was going to have a serious adverse side effect to the vaccine, we'd know about it.
Really puts in perspective the “9 of 10 doctors recommend” in the various pharmaceutical tv ads 😆

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,491 Posts
I don't know if people are afraid of the side effects and it's just a wait and see, that might explain part of it. All I know is I'm lined up for the Moderna vaccine tomorrow so I can give you all an update! :cool:

Joe

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Fuuck ‘em! I’ll take mine as soon as I can get it. I saw some assshole walking through the airport today without a mask. Not a chin diaper or with it under his nose, the fucker straight up didn’t have a mask anywhere in sight. I wanted to punch him.
When I have to go into a store and I see an employee not using their mask properly, I call them out with their management. In the case of an airport, there are always security/staff people around.

My explanation is usually, hey, I'm only here for 5 min: I DGAF. For your sake though, as someone who is here for 8+ hours with this guy, YOU should probably care.
They always do.

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,132
Another record day. 4,327 deaths in a day yesterday.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
They want us to be 12 feet apart when not wearing masks now. Two guys from my company were "potentially exposed" last week so me and a few co-workers were sent to another job ( building a fire station .. 🤔 ) .. Anyways they have video cameras everywhere and watch us all day long. Me and two co-workers were having lunch 6 feet apart and the safety guy runs over and gives us a lecture. Then they call a jobsite safety meeting to talk about social distance. I didnt know its 12 feet now. 😒

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,134
Hadn't heard that either. Not sure where that's coming from ??? The CDC? Is it a job specific requirement dreamed up by the safety guy? It's crazy how the rule are constantly changing and IMHO are literally being made up based on the mood of the day as we go along.

I ran into an issue with my travel time out here where they didn't want to pay me 12 HRS because "You could have taken a direct flight instead of a connecting one". (I flew DELTA instead of American in part because American is packing their flights full and DELTA is still flying half full due to COVID) Where the hell in the travel policy does it say I'm required to take a direct flight? There were other issues but I won't go into detail. It's just crazy. Any way they paid me 10 hours for a 12 hour trip. I could justify 11.5 hours but they still chose to pay only 10 hours travel.

Reactions: Lenise

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
First time I heard that. I think the safety guy loves to justify his job position some times .. 😂

Two hours I can compromise with for a convenience. I exchanged the time I spend traveling for the truck and gas card.

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,136
First time I heard that. I think the safety guy loves to justify his job position some times .. 😂

Two hours I can compromise with for a convenience. I exchanged the time I spend traveling for the truck and gas card.
LOL, very common for the safety people to be that way. Some of the best, and worst, people I've worked with on many jobs over the years were the safety people.

Yeah, it's not worth fighting over those hours. Win the battle lose the war. Chose your fights carefully, etc..
I'll make it up other ways on other jobs. It all works out.

1121 - 1136 of 1136 Posts