TCCoA Forums banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Although Mississippi hasn't gone full lockdown there are now curfews in place. I stopped by Walmart yesterday to pick a few things up and the shelves are still very bare. It seems like everytime I go in there the grocery section is more empty. Anyway, these Missississississississippians are buying up all the junk food and leaving the good (Healthy) stuff for me; which is just fine with me!

Last night we had to get dinner to-go from a local bar that we like (They were only serving carry out). They did serve us beer and we drank it on the patio in front of the place while they cooked our pizzas. It was a nice piece of normality in this crazy new world.

As far as I know I'll be flying out of here on Thursday on my way to a hotter COVID place. I'll be sure to blog my travel experience. I was telling gunn I highly expect my temperature to be taken before I"m allowed on an aircraft. I'll keep you guys posted and will share pictures of what the flight and airports look like.

·
Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
As far as I know I'll be flying out of here on Thursday on my way to a hotter COVID place. I'll be sure to blog my travel experience. I was telling gunn I highly expect my temperature to be taken before I"m allowed on an aircraft. I'll keep you guys posted and will share pictures of what the flight and airports look like.
From reports in Italy and a few other places, it seems like one of the first symptoms is to lose the sense of smell. Keep a nose out for that.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Really? That's interesting. I had not heard that.

Thanks for the tip Ralph.

·
Administrator
8,103 Posts
I heard that this morning, plus losing taste is also a symptom.

Joe

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Well, taste is closely associated with smell. That's why whenever you go to a public restroom that's effing gross you can almost taste it.

Yeah....I've had that experience a few times unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
For the one other person here on TCCOA also from California, this is a great article if you want to follow the COVID-19 stats here in California. It breaks down all the numbers by county and even compares California to other states.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ended up being laid off (temporarily...?) for at least 3 weeks (I expect longer) as a result of fallout and consequences from the virus today. Kind of glad in one way I would much rather be home for a bit until this levels out. I will miss having access to the machine tools for home projects in the interm though.

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
My Brother-in-law, who works in Orlando, was layed off.

I can only imagine how much voice traffic has jumped.

I saw this article the other day that caught my eye. The EU is telling Netflix to slow down before they break the internet! LOL

The European Union wants video platforms including Netflix to slow down streaming during the coronavirus pandemic to keep the internet from crashing.

Officials are asking the platforms to stop showing video in high definition.

Hundreds of millions of people are working from home, and even more children are out of school.

The result has been unprecedented internet usage and an intense strain on bandwidth.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
I saw that. Natural selection at it's finest or words matter?

The correct answer is both.

Having said that, I honestly feel sorry for the old couple and all who take comfort in his incoherent words.

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
LOL Carol is the best. I grew up watching her show.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
The man's wife told NBC News she'd watched televised briefings during which President Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine. Even though no drugs are approved to prevent or treat COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, some early research suggests it may be useful as a therapy.

"We were afraid of getting sick."
The name "chloroquine" resonated with the man's wife, who asked that her name not be used to protect the family's privacy. She'd used it previously to treat her koi fish.

"I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, 'Hey, isn't that the stuff they're talking about on TV?'"
Since they were willing to listen to our POTUS for medical advice, I'll bet he just lost two more voters in a potential swing state.

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #156

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Ended up being laid off (temporarily...?) for at least 3 weeks (I expect longer) as a result of fallout and consequences from the virus today. Kind of glad in one way I would much rather be home for a bit until this levels out. I will miss having access to the machine tools for home projects in the interm though.
Do you have room for the tools at home and/or extra cash to invest? A downturn is precisely the time when "toys" like drill presses, lathes, and mills from home workshops go on sale as people scramble for cash. I'm sure a deal can be done where you check the item off at their premises, pay them, and load up with minimal contact with them. Check your local craiglist.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Words matter. When critical drugs are hoarded people suffer.

This one is curious. How would one able to hoard it? You'd need a RX from a shady doctor and be willing to pay cash since no insurance will cover it. I don't think that some pharmacists are holding back in hope of a price spike; so the only logical answer is rich people who are willing to trust hope after being talked up by our POTUS.

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I think, in addition to hospitals stocking up, those who suffer from lupas and have unfilled refills are cashing in those refills and drying up supply. Plus, and this is only speculation, the drugs are probably manufactured in Italy or China.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I think, in addition to hospitals stocking up, those who suffer from lupas and have unfilled refills are cashing in those refills and drying up supply. Plus, and this is only speculation, the drugs are probably manufactured in Italy or China.

Big generic mfgs who are ramping up production. None will make much money here.
AMRX - NJ based (not sure where mfg)
Mylan - West Virginia mfg
Teva - based in IL (I suspect production there, too)
Novartis - switzerland
Bayer - Germany

To fight CV19, Poland will use illegal VODKA.
Hahaha

141 - 160 of 184 Posts