TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which Way Do My Coil Springs Go??

We've all been there..You get it apart, and forgot how it goes back together..

I put together some pictures and information to help anyone who has ever been confused about that..

I hope this helps everyone..

:thumbsup:

Proper (Stock) Front Coil Spring Orientation..

Thunderbird Cougar Front Spring Orientation.jpg

Proper (Stock) Rear Coil Spring Orientation..

Thunderbird Cougar Rear Spring Orientation.jpg

1989-1997 Thunderbirds/Cougars came from the factory with Progressive Rate Coil Springs..

Progressive Rate Coil Springs do intentionally touch one or more coils to reduce the number of active coils and increase the rate..

Progressive Rate Coil Springs deflect at different amounts per inch. An example would be: 300 lbs. = 1 inch deflection, 700 lbs. = 2 inch deflection, 1100 lbs. = 3 inch deflection, and so on.

Progressive Rate Coil Springs have a soft initial spring rate, and a much firmer spring rate to handle more weight, decrease sway, and improve handling.

All Progressive Rate Coil Springs...Factory(stock) or aftermarket will always be installed with the "tighter coils" on the top..

Some aftermarket lowering springs are installed differently..

Please contact the Manufacturer of those aftermarket lowering springs..If you are unsure about which way they should be installed..

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Way to spring into action..........Oh that was bad :eek:
Well, I guess sporting that new "flat top", he feels more spring in his step! :tongue:

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
weird. Mine were installed upside down in the rears.

not like it makes a difference anyways
Funny you mention that. When I pulled my sport springs, I also got the factory isolators. The bottom isolators rest in the LCA and there is a hole that gets impressed into the isolator. When I installed them, I looked and they were 'upside down' from the factory on the donor car. I already had them installed when I looked at this thread and had to dig them out and turn them over. I wonder how accurate this is for the rear springs? Does it really not matter? I have thought about turning them back the way they were ('upside down').

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
I didn't notice a top or bottom on my rear springs.
They "looked" identical.
Then they were linears, and as long as both ends are the same diameter and shape, you're good.

SOME cars the two ends are different for different pocketing.

Otherwise, it really doesn't matter, although technically the deeper pockets on the bottom may cause binding with the tight coils at the bottom not the top. Don't think that actually happens on the TBirds/Cougars, but eh.

RwP

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Then they were linears, and as long as both ends are the same diameter and shape, you're good.

SOME cars the two ends are different for different pocketing.

Otherwise, it really doesn't matter, although technically the deeper pockets on the bottom may cause binding with the tight coils at the bottom not the top. Don't think that actually happens on the TBirds/Cougars, but eh.

RwP
gotcha, thanks for clearing that up....I didn't even think about them being linear.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Funny you mention that. When I pulled my sport springs, I also got the factory isolators. The bottom isolators rest in the LCA and there is a hole that gets impressed into the isolator. When I installed them, I looked and they were 'upside down' from the factory on the donor car. I already had them installed when I looked at this thread and had to dig them out and turn them over. I wonder how accurate this is for the rear springs? Does it really not matter? I have thought about turning them back the way they were ('upside down').
It doesn't matter what so ever.

Imagine a tiny tiny progressive coil spring 1" long that fits between your thumb and index finger and easily compressible. Say you compress it between your fingers. It doesn't matter whether the coil is up, or down, or any which possible orientation you can think of in 3D space---the "softer" coils will compress "more" than the rest; that is the whole premise behind it being a progressive spring in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
It doesn't matter what so ever.

Imagine a tiny tiny progressive coil spring 1" long that fits between your thumb and index finger and easily compressible. Say you compress it between your fingers. It doesn't matter whether the coil is up, or down, or any which possible orientation you can think of in 3D space---the "softer" coils will compress "more" than the rest; that is the whole premise behind it being a progressive spring in the first place.
Minor correction, which probably doesn't apply to OUR cars, but sure did back in my old 1963 Chevy days!

The bottom pocket was smaller than the top pocket - so yes, it did make a difference.

I do know the lower control arm has a pocket that the upper frame end doesn't have, but I don't know if it's possible to bind the tight springs in the LCA or not.

However, that's why the tight ones are supposed to go to the top ...

PRACTICALLY, it probably doesn't matter.

RwP

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
would this apply to aftermarket lowering springs? I don't have them in hand yet
Yes..If they are Progressive Rate Coil Springs they will always be installed with the "tighter coils" on the top..

Just remember though..On your (Front) aftermarket coil springs if one side is ground flat..The "flat part" of the spring will always be installed pointing up..
:thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Not that it matters, but the reason tighter coils are typically installed against the body is to reduce "unsprung" weight.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Didn't pay attention to the coils themselves, but when I installed my Eibachs I figured it would be a good idea to install them with the powdercoated "Eibach" logo right side up. Reasoned that if I were running a company manufacturing springs, I'd have the logo printed so it would be more easily readable...

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Didn't pay attention to the coils themselves, but when I installed my Eibachs I figured it would be a good idea to install them with the powdercoated "Eibach" logo right side up. Reasoned that if I were running a company manufacturing springs, I'd have the logo printed so it would be more easily readable...
I have a set of Eibach's on the shelf here, and with the coils tighter at the top, the logo and printing are right side up. I would hope to assume it would be safe to use this logic, however I have personally installed a couple other brand sets of springs with the logo upside down to maintain the correct orientation. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts