TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much should my friend with a 89 3.8 expect to pay for the 4.2 swap. Also, will the 4.2 bolt up to an AOD? Thanks
-Rob

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I got the engine fully dressed from the recyclers for $1700 with a 1 year warranty. I probably spent another $300 on parts on top of that-- then there is renting the engine hoist. I'd say PLAN for $2300 or so, but I am sure it could be done for much less.

PJ

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
durdyburdz said:
will i need a new hood or anything? and also will the shop know to keep my heads and all that stuff?
if you get the mustang intake, you wont need a hood. if you get the truck intake, you'll have to get a cobra hood and modify it some. look in PJ's article.

you wont need your heads for the engine. the 3.8L heads wont work w/ the split port intakes...so they'll prolly pull the whole engine, and not take it apart.

·
Registered
234 Posts
they will pull my whole engine and swap the 4.2 in? i would do the mustang intake because i dont have money for a new cobra hood. how much will all of this cost me if i get it done in the shop?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
You'll have to ask your local shops how much they would charge to do it. Everyone that I know of who has done the swap did it themselves. My entire swap including the splitport engine (I did the splitport 3.8L with the mustang intake) and everything I bought to install DIS and get the engine to run was in the neighborhood of $1500 (the engine was $700 of that). If you're going to have a shop do it, look to spend quite a bit more than that. Good luck.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
You have to have an EEC that supports DIS, with a matching DIS module, Cam sensor, crank sensor, and coil pack. It's pretty complicated, involves a LOT of wiring/soldering and time. If you attempt it, my suggestion is that you first buy the necessary wiring diagrams, one for the way your car is now and one that matches the DIS system you're using. Then draw your own diagrams, and then make a numbered list of what wires will be changed in what order. But like I said, it's pretty complicated.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
you wouldn't need to convert to DIS, there is someone on here that got the 99+ mustang upper intake to fit a distributor car buy just removing the EGR setup off that intake. If you live in an area that doesn't have Emissions testing that would be the perfect choice for you.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Yes, it is possible to run a distributor with the mustang intake, but just as rancherlee said, that means no EGR plus a few other mods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts