TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 cougar 4.6 with 168k thats got a rod knocking, and figuring motor swap.. a mechanic buddy of mine told me that i have to get a 4.6 out of a cougar or tbird because its a little different than the other 20 vehicles that have them. i kind of find that hard to believe so im coming to that authorities on the matter lol.. is this true or can i put any of the 4.6s in it?

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
i have a 96 cougar 4.6 with 168k thats got a rod knocking, and figuring motor swap.. a mechanic buddy of mine told me that i have to get a 4.6 out of a cougar or tbird because its a little different than the other 20 vehicles that have them. i kind of find that hard to believe so im coming to that authorities on the matter lol.. is this true or can i put any of the 4.6s in it?
With a 96 MN12 (which your is) any 4.6 engine up to 2009 will swap as a long block.

You unbolt everything from your engine, and swap it to the new one.

If it has plastic tensioners, replace those and the guides with the updated parts; those suck.

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick/informative response. i was thinking about buying a lower mile used motor from a wreck and swapping entire assembly, got no time or money right now, trying to get a new business off the ground and i drive 100mi a day and need this on the road as my DD again asap.

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts
With a 96 MN12 (which your is) any 4.6 engine up to 2009 will swap as a long block.

You unbolt everything from your engine, and swap it to the new one.

If it has plastic tensioners, replace those and the guides with the updated parts; those suck.

:)
+1 though one thing to add, a PI motor, which is any 2V made between 2002 and 2014 is is going to require a tune, the spark table requirements are quite a bit different between the two heads. I don't know how much you're willing to budget but that will eat up $3-400 between the tune and tuner. If that's a no go any car 4.6 (except 99+ Mustang) made between 1996 and 2001 will be a drop in as they're still npi.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome thanks guys.. those 10yr cobras look good on that white xr ;-)

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I did not read anything anyone else wrote other then what was OP'd, but DON'T LET THAT MECHANIC COMPLETE THOSE REPAIRS HE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING. For the sake of mn12s everywhere please find someone competent, because he is far from that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No he isnt doing the work, i just asked if he knows of a motor lol.. thank you for the concern though :+1:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
oh thanks gawd. Where you at in VA?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vinton, roanoke, own a store in lynchburg im up there 6 days a week and drive 55mi one way so gotta get my precious dd back on the road asap lol..

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
that sucks its to far away for me to matter then. I was going to tell you I could get it done for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man that sucks, thanks for looking out tho

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Was it possibly because of emissions.
Nothing really dramatic about emissions on our cars. Standard stuff, all the EGR stuff is on the top of the motor, can be swapped over to a new block just fine. Everything post manifold is again, not part of the motor, so shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
the 4.6 emissions systems are mostly the same and most states allow for same make motor swaps as long as the year is the same or newer. For example a 96 Thunderbird could take a 98 crown vic motor.

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
+1 though one thing to add, a PI motor, which is any 2V made between 2002 and 2014 is is going to require a tune, the spark table requirements are quite a bit different between the two heads. I don't know how much you're willing to budget but that will eat up $3-400 between the tune and tuner. If that's a no go any car 4.6 (except 99+ Mustang) made between 1996 and 2001 will be a drop in as they're still npi.
As Matt said, a newer motor requires a tune.

I bought the PRP package, so I forget.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
IOW he's saying: "I don't know how different the newer 4.6 are, and/or wouldn't be able to properly adapt a newer 4.6 should I find any differences". This is true 99% of the time. And if that isn't the case then "I do know what's involved and it's more involved than what you would be willing to pay me to get it all to work properly". :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey i found a 4.6 out of a 96 tbird for a decent with halfway low miles and close, was wondering if anyone has a link to a swap guide or video or something. basically bolt sizes and locations, ect.. thanks alot!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts