TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I hate to say it and I am actually ashamed how it happened too, but what I did was the only thing I could think of doing at the time. My girlfriend and I were on our way home from picking up pizza and had just turned onto the main road. I let off the gas to slow down because traffic was stopped at the light ahead. When I let off the gas, the car showed no signs of slowing down, and when I hit the brakes, the pedal went down a tad, and stopped, the car continued to move. I do not know how fast we were going, but the only thing I could think to do was quick turn into the parking lot next to 7-11. I hit the curb entering and then ran into a parked car. It happened so quick I didn't have time to shift into nuetral and turn the car off or try the emergency brakes. Your in a state of panic and you can't think straight. Now I work at 7-11, the one where the accident happened, and I know the owner of the car I hit. Bad thing was, it was an 06 Mercedes.

Now the damage to my car is probably enough to total it. The rack and pinion is leaking, the drivers side wheel is pushed back and out, so something is twisted or broken. The car also needs a fender, hood, and bumper. The car isn't worth that much so I am sure they will total it. I have too much money into the car to let it go, so I will probably buy it back from the insurance company. I just had the exhaust done! It was sad to see the car towed to my mechanics shop. I don't care about the exterior of the car because it was already different colors, plus I can get parts out of the yard. My main thing is getting is road ready again.

I know many will probably laugh at how this all happened, but I believe I did the right thing, rather than causing a huge pile up on the main road, sending cars into other cars. It just happened so fast, that was all I could think of. Both my girlfriend and I are OK. I will let everyone know how things work out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That sucks your cougar got in an accident. At least u did not get hurt or your gf. I got in an accident about a month ago and i am still trying to recover from my injuries. If the airbags came out then it will defintely be totaled. How badly damaged was the mercedes?

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well since I have an 89, it doesnt have any airbags. I hit the Mercedes in the drivers side quarter panel right at the wheel. Both cars had to be towed. Mercedes will need the quarter fixed and the corner light, and whatever else to straighten the wheel back out.

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
Well good luck fixing it, but I would also reccomend that before you invest in fixing the car, find out what is wrong with the brakes or whatever it was that caused this to happen in the first place. Does your car have the ABS? Cause it sounds a little like when the ABS accumulator goes out, and if that's the case your looking at like $1500 just for that. Depending on how bad the damage is, it might make more sense to buy another cougar and swap all your stuff onto the new car.

Mike

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
damn dude, hope everything works out for you bro, remember, it could of been worse, you did the right thing in that situation.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car doesn't have ABS, but my mechanic told me that it could have been the master cylinder. After the accident I had to move the car, and the brakes were working fine. My father told the insurance company that we do not want the car totalled and that we want to fix it, but who knows what is going to happen. My parents had an accident many years ago and were screwed. They don't want the same thing happening to me. They are going to take a look at it. I will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Good to hear you guys were ok. If you really want to keep the car, you're probably gonna have to fight to get any $$ for it. My wife did the same damage to my 95, and State Farm totalled it even though the car was spotless beforehand I still had to mess w/ them for 2 months to get the $$ I wanted.

I hope you're on good terms w/ the 'Benz owner because that damage to it sounds like it's gonna be expensive. Just don't let the ins. co. screw you over :cool:

Jay

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was on good term with him, but after this I do not know. He didnt have the car for more than a month. What I understand was that it was a birthday present. Well this was my present to him.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
the grommet holding your tv cable for the aod finally gave out. the tv cable then got between the throttle cable mount and its idle position.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went and checked it out today. The lower control arm is bent and the rack and pinion is leaking. I believe that is all that may be wrong but it will need alignment. I have pictures that I will post so this will have to be moved to the other forum.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the insurance company took a look at the car today. They are not totalling the car because we didn't put a claim on it. To repair everything, including the body, would be roughly 3 grand. They know our intentions of just getting it driveable so they worked with us. They are not giving us anything towards the car, but that doesn't matter. The body I can fix myself. As long as I have it back on the road, I will be happy.

·
Registered
744 Posts
sorry to hear bout this brian, glad to hear you guys are ok.

better to hit a parked anything rather then somebody in traffic...neck injuries ehh.

i understand you wanna rebuild her, but there's a black xr7 5 speed on here that's for sale in NJ. looks preety nice, was asking 1,500.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It won't take too much to repair her Tom, and I'm willing to pay the money to have her fixed rather than buying a new car. The body isn't that bad, but I guess the way I described it says otherwise. Here are some pictures.

Bob said theres a Bird almost the same color in Jersey that he will try and grab the bumper and fenders for me. Cosmetic I don't care much about, its different colors already. A paint job is in the future.

The other thing I did notice while looking at it closer is that the impact bar behind the bumper is pushed back on the drivers side. They are suppose to do this but I don't know how to pull it back out, or even if that is possible to do.

·
Registered
744 Posts
wow, brian that looks 10x better then i expected it. by impact bar to do you mean the actual 'bumper' behind the cover, infront of the rad? or the core/rad support?

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am referring to the impact bar behind the catual bumper.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Depends on how bad it's bent, and if the crumple zone the impact bar is attached to is crushed at all. I just went through this w/ my 95 and it was a PITA. If it's just the bar that is bent in on the corner, then I would just bend it back. They don't take much to re-bend.

Jay

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I believe the crumble zone is crushed. I won't know until it gets out of the shop and I can get the bumper off to take a look at it.

Edit: Well I found out that you can buy new reinforcements if need be. They are about 30 bucks or so plus shipping. So worse case is I will just a new one.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update. The only thing that had to be replaced was the lower control arm on the car. I will be picking it up tomorrow after it gets aligned. He said he didnt see any leaks while it was on the lift and that everything else seems to be OK.

I picked up a new fender, close in color, and a new header panel. It was hard finding one of them. I just need to get a bumper, the hood can stay dented. I also picked up a bunch of interior pieces to convert to black interior.

I can't wait to get it back. I am dreading driving my parents Exploder.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
So got any pics of the Mercedes?

(Glad it wasn't worse.)

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts