TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started it and it will take an estimated 2 months to complete. Lets say it took more time build the courage to start it than to save money for it. Please respect my decision to keep my mouth shut on it while I complete it. I am taking pictures of the build and when I'm done I will post all. Trust me it's going to blow all of you away. Be patient.

Thanks for reading my "Teaser"

Justin Mc.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I love surprises!!!!!!!!................uh so whatcha doin exactly?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
You might be SOL on the originality of the name. A fellow member already kinda owns the Rights (painted on the car)

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
um sorry eliminator doesnt fit an mn12
see avatar and sig

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
awww, got to give some hints!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
um sorry eliminator doesnt fit an mn12
see avatar and sig
Technically neither does "GT", but I use it. I could see him building a modern Cougar Eliminator, do what Ford could have done if they'd done it right... ;)

·
Registered
663 Posts
its probably a write up on how to properly install mil eliminators on a cougar. or maybe its his silencer eliminator project.. lol jk jk

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
You might be SOL on the originality of the name. A fellow member already kinda owns the Rights (painted on the car)
I doubt he's the first to use the Eliminator name as well... so much for originality. At least several thousand Cougars have carried the Eliminator name since 1970, both officially and unofficially as project cars someone built.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
Hey! That's my trademark.

And I know I'm not the first to use it, I just was the first to put it on an MN12 as a nod to the 69/70 Eliminators.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Or are you simply the first one (you know of) to take pictures of it and post them on the net? lol Just out out curiosity when did you brand yours an Eliminator? MN12 Cougars have been rolling off the line since 1988.

There's nothing wrong with using the name on a (fast) Cougar project car if you want to (i might even do it one day), but it hasn't been an "original" thing to do for a long time now.... that's all i was saying. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
Mine has been "branded" since june of 2000. Until someone else says they had it on their car earlier, I'm going to lay claim to the first MN12 Eliminator. I never claimed to originate the name or anything like that, I just happened to see a 70 Eliminator for the first time shortly before I painted my car, so I decided to put it on mine.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Using the name is fine and you can lay claim to whatever you want. But it seems almost beyond pointless and a bit silly, not to mention hard as heck to believe it's true.

Just for fun lets look at some facts...

The best i can figure from the incomplete production numbers i've seen is that between 1988 and '97 at least 550,000 MN12 Cougars rolled of the line and hit our roads.

MN12 Cougar production started 11 years before you even knew prior Cougars once carried the "Eliminator" name on them.

Now let's look at your personal experience. Shortly before you painted your Cougar in 2000 you learned of the original Cougar Eliminators. The light bulb promptly went off in your head that "man that's a bad-ass Cougar, I think i'm going to call my Cougar an Eliminator too!" (or something to that effect, lol)

Aside from a big head, what in the world would make you think your experience was so unique? With over half a million MN12's Cougars produced I can't imagine why you would you think that no one else has had the same bright (and very obvious) idea as yours in the 11 years before you did it???

Neither of us knows the truth about your claim, it's unverifiable. But my bet would be that not only are you not the 1rst, 2nd or even 3rd to slap the Eliminator name on a MN12, your probably not even the 2000th person to have the idea and something like the 232nd to follow through on it and actually do it. lol

Claiming it as your "trademark" and laying claim to being "the first" seems utterly pointless and silly... :tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I only posted my comment as a joke, not to start a freaking war.

There is absolutely no need to start digging into facts and figures about a name.

and most of all

STOP TAKING THINS SO LITERALLY!!!

cant we all just get along?

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
Nothing makes me think it's unique. I was being sarcastic and making a joke out of it when I said "I lay claim to first MN12 Eliminator" You are absolutely correct it is silly and pointless, and it doesn't bother me at all that someone else wants to call his cougar an eliminator too. I was just making a joke about it, since Clint had already mentioned my car. Relax.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
You didn't start a war, nor do i need to relax as i already am relaxed ClintD. I simply found the claim to be somewhat ludicrously humorous. :tongue:

I didn't dig into facts and figures over using the name itself. I'm simply throwing some fun facts out there to highlight the ridiculousness of the claim that he's the first to do it with a MN12. ;)

Mike, i didn't say you thought the name itself was unique... but you sure played it up like you think your idea to put it on a MN12 was unique (at the time). Why else would you talk it up that your "the first"? lol

BTW ClintD's prior mentioning that someone's already "kinda owns the rights" in what seems to have been a reference to your car, that makes me think you've claimed this time or two before as you went on to say it's your "trademark"... ;)

You can't just throw that kind of silliness out there and not expect someone else to pick it up and have some fun with it... :rolleyes:

Just to be clear Mike...

I never thought your upset about anyone else using the name too, not at all. Neither am I.

I never thought or said that you might think the name itself is something unique.

I think it's perfectly fine for anyone to use the Eliminator name on a fast Cougar if they want to regardless of it's model year. I've said that several times now and have even considered doing it myself. But i've got to make it fast first.

If someone slaps the name on a slow or stock Cougar i'm gonna think they're a lame-ass poser because they are! Eliminators are exactly what the name implies... ;)

edit:

I only posted my comment as a joke ...... STOP TAKING THINS SO LITERALLY!!!

cant we all just get along?
Looks like a straight forward statement to me. Not much of anything there to denote your intent at humor that's for sure... excuuuuuuse me! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
Ok, so we are agreed that my ridiculous silly claim is as of yet unchallenged by anyone claiming to have done it before? I know it isn't unique or original, but it certainly isn't something you see a lot of. I've actually never seen another MN12 cougar with "Eliminator" lettering on it. The closest I have seen is Johnny Cougar's license plate on his 91 XR7.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
As i said you can lay claim to anything you wish. It's cool. :thumbsup:

Heck it may even been true however hard it is to fathom that in 11 years and 500,000+ Cougars no one else had the same idea prior to you. :D

Just keep in mind that while not known to you until 2000, the existence of the Eliminators is well know by muscle car enthusiasts. If within a short time of seeing one you got the idea and acted on it then it seems very likely that at least a few other MN12 Cougar owners have had a similar experience sometime in the 11 years prior to you... ;)

And yes it is rather rare to see it on MN12's.

That's all. :zwall:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Nothing makes me think it's unique. I was being sarcastic and making a joke out of it when I said "I lay claim to first MN12 Eliminator"

Just to add some fun to the discussion, the first real Eliminator was found in south Florida and is a pile of rusted parts at the moment in an enclosed trailer in the mountains of MA. It was bought for I think about $1500 7 or 8 years ago by my good friend who didn't know it was the first until after he had the vin researched.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts