TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! I need a favor from somebody out there. I have an 88 Cougar XR7 with 1993 Mustang Cobra wheels. I am wondering if MN-12 Cougar centercaps would work, replacing the boring flat cap of the Cobra.

Cobra centercap dimensions: 7 5/16" outer diameter, 6 1/2" mounting ring diameter.

Here's a shot of my car, and the attached MN-12 centercaps I'm curious about.

89-92(?) XR7 centercap

89-92(?) LS centercap

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Actually, on a similar note i'm curious what center caps will fit the 16" 89~91 XR7 / '97 XR7 Sport 7-spoke rims pictured above.

Anyone know if the late model 16" Tbird Sport wheel center caps with exposed (are they real or fake?) lugnuts will fit the Cougar 7 spokes? Pictures? Are any others known to fit that wheel?

Sorry I don't mean to hijack or confuse the original posters question. re the 16" 7 spoke and the other 15" wheel Cougar cap pictured. I don't know if they'll fit your cobra rims but I'll point out that the 7-spoke cap is plastic with a metal retaining ring and fairly flat across the surface. (there also a b*tch to take off without breaking) whereas the other 15" wheel center caps are domed and stamped out of stainless steel.

I suspect the flat 16" 7 spoke cap would be the better visual match to your cobra rims. Even if you paint the stainless ones to match I think the domed shape will look a bit odd on the cobra rims.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Southpaw said:
I suspect the flat 16" 7 spoke cap would be the better visual match to your cobra rims. Even if you paint the stainless ones to match I think the domed shape will look a bit odd on the cobra rims.
Aren't they both flat?

Yeah I am really interested in the XR7 caps. Sad thing is I passed up a perfect set of them at the junkyard a few months back. Dammit.

Anyway, hope someone can help me out!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'll add my '97 XR7 7 spokes have a 6.5" center opening and the cap is 1/16 less then that or thereabouts. I don't know what the "snap ring" diameter is. I'm not about to try and pull one of my caps off just to measure it. They break to easily. I would never trust a tire shop to take them off. Those monkeys would be 4 for 4 on breaking them.

btw they look flat but if you laid them face down on a table I think they would rock a bit. looks like a slight gentle curve towards the edge, center seems flat.

The 15" wheel stamped SS ones have more of a "pop" to them. Not like baby moons or anything but they're not flat like they look in the picture. From what I recall they're more like an incredibly shallow cone with a blunt rounded over tip (center of cap) then a smooth curve.

So anyone know if the 16" Tbird sport rims have a 6.5" center opening? I'm just trying to figure out if the caps are interchangable between 16" Cougar & Tbird sport rims.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
For what it's worth, Claude (CougarSE) over on the Fox forums used the Cougar center cap from the 15" wheel (pictured in first post) on a set of Turbo Coupe snowflakes. He claims that they would fit 10-hole wheels as well.
I have a full set of Cougar 10-holes (from the '86) and a full set of '89-'91 Cougar XR-7 wheel. Both sets have all centercaps.
I'll do some test fitting next time I have access to them.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
I'll check for you tonight. At the shop I have a set of 7-spokes and a set of 96 bird wheels with the exposed lug nut caps. I'll try to swap a cap and see if it works.

Mike

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
The Cougar center caps that came in the 7 spokes are smaller than any of the Thunderbird ones that came on the MN12's. They most likely will not fit your application. Even so, they are hard to find because they are plastic, and break easily.

Also, at one point I have SC rims on my car and tried to replace the center caps with Cougar ones, but I was unable to find one that fit. Actually, one did fit into place, but there was about a 1/2 gap around the center cap. Overall I just think your going to have a hard time finding a Cougar one to fit.

You would be better off putting a decal of a Cougar emblem onto the center caps that you already have for those rims. I made my own for the rims I got and it turned out decent.

Yours are just a tad larger though.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I haven't got a clue or any advice to give reguarding your centercap perdicament...

I just had to chime in and say that that is one clean lookin' cat and the Cobra wheels look sexy as hell on 'er!!!:saeek:

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
I tried the exposed lug nut center caps in the 7-spoke rims, and they didn't work. The diameter looked right, but they didn't sit flush with the rim. The center caps I had were off the 96 15" wheels and they have high and low spots to go with the spokes on those rims. If you got the 96/97 sport wheel center caps, they might work on the XR7 rims. Of course I'm now realizing that this doesn't really help you to figure out if they would work on the 93 cobra wheels.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your help and comments. I really do appreciate it.

Just yesterday I saw a 96-97 Cougar with the sport wheels (XR7 wheels) and measured the diameter with a pencil and paper. Like southpaw said, its way too small. Dammit. :(

I'm cool with the stock Cobra centercaps, even if they are too shiny for my tastes. They are 17x8.5" and I got them for $480 with the caps. I'm running 245/45/17s but they are stretched a little tight. Clearance isn't a problem (now I find that out) so next time around I'll put 255s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Optimus Prime said:
Not sure but I think the 89-92 LS centers would fit.
I saw your profile...do you have those wheels on your car? If so, just tell me the outer diameter. No need to pry them off, just from the outside.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I don't think my '89 stainless stamped LS caps were over 7" dia but it's been 3 years since I looked at one up close. The wheel is 15".

15" - 7&5/16" = 7&11/16" / 2 = approx 3&13/16" long spokes and that's not counting the outer rim width . That would mean the spokes on them are 3.5" at most? That doesn't sound right to me.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I tried using the Cougar center caps from my '91 7-spoke wheels on the 15" 10-hole wheels - they were far too small. This also means that the aluminum Cougar center cap from the 10-hole wheels may be a match for the Cobra wheels.
The next step is to find some 10-hole centers and see if they fit your Cobra wheels. If so, all you need are some '84-'87 Cougar XR7 10-hole center caps.

·
Registered
394 Posts
the 10 hole centers "look" the same to me. Anyway I measured my centers and the outer part is approximately 6 3/4 inches and the inner part is 6 1/2. Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts