TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that Cougars seem to be more expensive than T-birds? I have been on the hunt for another cougar and it seems that no matter where I look, Cougars are consistently priced higher than their T-bird counterpart. Anybody have any idea why?

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
Well, to start, there aren't as many Cougars as Tbirds. They sold nearly half the volume in most of the MN12 generation. Cougars also (and I'm generalizing here) didn't get handed down to the bottom of the food chain quite as fast as Tbirds have, it would seem. Most Tbirds I see for sale are run near dead into the ground by their teenage 4th or 5th owners, where Cougars tend to be estate sale specials previously owned by little old ladies.

·
Super Moderator
16,810 Posts
Cougars are upmarket from a bird, better, classier, etc
In looks and MAYBE seating depending on who you ask. The only things the Cougars got over the Tbird that I can think of... Standard disco dash in 89/90 models, standard VMM in the 94/5 models, standard power lumber bladders in 93-95 seats, Tbird SC style rear seats(non folddown) for 94-97.

Weirdly, the way the PEPs must have been laid out, 94/95 and 97 Cougars seemed to be overwhelmingly equipped with the base manual rotary climate contro whereas most V8 Tbirds had SATC.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Most Cougars I looked at versus the Thunderbirds were better equipped, I have never ever ever (ever ever) seen a Cougar with hub caps. I never knew that you could get hub caps and steel wheels with an mn12 until I looked at three Thunderbirds in a row. More leather steering wheels, SATC, Sports, etc in the Cougars.

And the Cougars generally were in better shape and less miles, but had more cigarette burns and green transfer from oxygen tanks hahaha.

But all of that is just an observation from a 2 MN12 Cougar and former Fox Cougar owner that really digs the formal roofline of the Cougar and the configuration of the trunk versus a Thunderbird and Mark VIII.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
In looks and MAYBE seating depending on who you ask. The only things the Cougars got over the Tbird that I can think of... Standard disco dash in 89/90 models, standard VMM in the 94/5 models, standard power lumber bladders in 93-95 seats, Tbird SC style rear seats(non folddown) for 94-97.

Weirdly, the way the PEPs must have been laid out, 94/95 and 97 Cougars seemed to be overwhelmingly equipped with the base manual rotary climate contro whereas most V8 Tbirds had SATC.
You forgot the most important part...our one extra foot of roof ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A lot of that makes sense. I've been looking at a few of them ranging from $1,000 to $4,000.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Don't forget that the Cougars also had features that just aren't seen on birds.. This includes vinyl roofs and luggage racks! :zwall:

·
Super Moderator
9,168 Posts
Interestingly enough, the KBB values for a T-bird is about $150-$200 less than an identically equipped Cougar. In the same light... an SC prices about $1000 more than an LX, for that matter.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My guess is:

Mercury was "suppose" to be the upscale version of the common mans Ford. Isn't that why Ford pulled the plug on the Dan Gurney Cougar back in 69 or 70 ? Sort of like the Escalade is the higher priced Suburban.

·
Registered
180 Posts
No offense, but I'd drive that into the ditch too if my car had the ugly mold and rot magnet cloth top! :zpuke:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well once the LSs were gone all Cougars had leather trimed seats if not full leather that right there would be the price difference. Never mind the perceived quality Mercury had over Ford.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I like Cougars as much as Birds. I didn't mean to offend. :)

I would have taken a good condition Cougar if I found one while I was looking.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
I've seen a couple of birds around here with the "Bostonian" package, not as many as Cougars... They seem to be similarly priced around here dependent on condition. I have seen a few more babied Cougars(meaning three) The hard part around here is finding Cougars without the vinyl top. Having that removed puts the price up considerably.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts