TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Cervini thunderbird Ram air hood that I am having fit to my Cougar. Assuming all goes well and it fits ok, do I really need hood pins? Now I know that people here are all going to show me the previous posts where people wrecked their windshields, but the one I remember seeing in the threads here was because her car was hit and it bent the front end or something. Then the hood flew up while she was trying to get it home or off a bridge...

I dont like the way the hood pins look at all. Are they really a neccessity?, and if so is there another way to "lock the hood down" without it being seen?

Obviously I dont want the hood to get damaged or damage done to the rest of the car.....the Cervini hood is supposed to be a direct bolt on (well for thunderbirds atleast), and the area around the hood latch looks pretty strong...

I have seen some hoods with locks, some without....

Guess I just need opinions or options from my fellow MN12's...........

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Yes, get hood pins. In that thread there were probably close to 20 incidents of the hood coming flying up. It's not a matter of it looking good, it's a matter of safety. If you don't want physical pins sticking out of the hood, they do make tumbler lock style hood 'locks' that stay flush (relatively) to the hood that are locked via a key similar to what you see on soda machines.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Do you like your roof, windshield, and new $500+ hood? Yes? Then get pins. There have been others around that thought the latch area had enough, and it still managed to get ripped off. I don't trust the stock latch to work on a hood that was NOT designed by the manuacturer (Ford) to hold an aftermarket hood down. You're asking something that is stock to do something it wasn't designed for. Yes, it will still latch, and do that well, but.... a fiberglass hood flexes a lot more than a steel hood, and driving 80mph into a 20mph headwind is not a good time to watch the hood bounce around until it works that latch loose. Put it this way, after the $$ for the hood, prep/paint/fitment/install costs, are you willing to risk all of that money/time just because you were too concerned that the $25 locking hood pins were ugly, even though they are "safety" equipment? Not me man, not me..... but hey, you do what you like. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't ever happen to you.

Just my .02

Jay

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow I must have touched a never with you there................

Ok hood pins it is......if thats the only way to go?

Anyone have pictures of a hood with the hood locks on it?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I'm not trying to be a d**k about it, but I have had 2 friends that bought fiberglass hoods for their cars (one a stang and another a camaro) and they both had the hoods come up at a high rate of speed. Neither of them had pins. I am just trying to make sure you don't go through the same thing they did. I don't know if that's the only way to go, but I know they work. I've never seen anything else besides pins or locks, so not sure what's out there. Good luck with your hood. A Cougar with that hood will look pimp. Pics are in order when you get it done :D

Jay

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I would not put a fiberglass hood on any car with out pins or locks. I do not think they take away anything from the looks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I like the look of the hood pins on your car.....

Funny though your front tires look so tiny in that picture compared to the monsters in the back.

Ok so I will get hood pins. Any recommendations? I see that Summit sells them
about $10 dollars................. they have the locks for $18, but the pins seem easier to deal with, and it seems they would hold better, or atleast you know for sure they are on and the hood isnt going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
In that picture, the fronts are 255/45/17 and the rear are 275/40/17 DR. The ones below are SKINNY :) They are 165/80/15 mounted on spare wheels, 15x4 for use at the strip. :)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you dont like the look of the hood pins, you could paint them to match the car. It would hide them a little more up close and from far away you probably couldnt even tell.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mastarecoil said:
If you dont like the look of the hood pins, you could paint them to match the car. It would hide them a little more up close and from far away you probably couldnt even tell.
Actually I got to thinking, the grille is still chrome, so it probably will go good with that...............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts