TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 89-97 reflector panels, minus the obvious differences in trim pieces and overall aesthetics are interchangeable?

I have a 95 XR7, and I need to replace mine. I've been looking for straight swaps, but I've also considered swapping everything to match the 91-93 rears, as I personally like those more.

Either way I'm having trouble, and any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
Will the tbird led panels mount up to the Cougar trunk?

:eek:

I'm doing Follow-me taillights for the Tbird on a set I just bought; if the mounts are the same, that opens up other possibilities...

BTW, ultrasonic welded plastic is not able to be cut at the seams. :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Will the tbird led panels mount up to the Cougar trunk?

:eek:

I'm doing Follow-me taillights for the Tbird on a set I just bought; if the mounts are the same, that opens up other possibilities...

BTW, ultrasonic welded plastic is not able to be cut at the seams. :)
I would be all over some type of Cougar sequential tail light mod. Absolutely one of the neatest features of the first gen cars.

I've never tried cutting ultrasonicly welded plastic tail lights apart. Why can't they be cut? Harder than the surrounding material? What about one of those hot knifes?

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
I would be all over some type of Cougar sequential tail light mod. Absolutely one of the neatest features of the first gen cars.

I've never tried cutting ultrasonicly welded plastic tail lights apart. Why can't they be cut? Harder than the surrounding material? What about one of those hot knifes?
It's twice as thick at the seam, possibly 3x, seeing as I haven't seen the inside yet.

There are plug in led kits available for mustangs, easily adaptable.

I'm a cheap bastige, I'll post up what I end up with. :)

I plan to leave the stock stuff, and add mine; no issues unless I blind someone. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
i have the 92 25th anniversary center panel and 92 taillights in my 96.
really cleans up the back and gets rid of some chrome

·
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. It's been about 8 years since I lost my 92, maybe 10 since I was really active on here, and I really missed both. Saturday I picked up this 95, and I'm excited to play again!

Irvin I agree with you, I'm not much of a fan of the chrome. Hell, on my 92 I even painted the reflector white. Not sure which direction I'll go this time.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks. It's been about 8 years since I lost my 92, maybe 10 since I was really active on here, and I really missed both. Saturday I picked up this 95, and I'm excited to play again!

Irvin I agree with you, I'm not much of a fan of the chrome. Hell, on my 92 I even painted the reflector white. Not sure which direction I'll go this time.
I've never been a fan of the chrome my self. It looks a little to GM for me. But I suppose that was mercurys point. The later tail lights look a little smoother with the laser pattern or whatever you want to call it. You got me thinking though. I have a spare set of tails and some touch up paint.....

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
I go back and fourth with the chrome though, I like the shape of the lens with them on better, makes the overall taillight combo look like less of a big red rectangle :tongue:
Maybe you can replace your chrome with some woodgrain to match your door panels?

Just kidding, please don't do that!

·
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Chrome can be removed also, it's actually flush and surprisingly tidy with the rest of the light underneath

I go back and fourth with the chrome though, I like the shape of the lens with them on better, makes the overall taillight combo look like less of a big red rectangle :tongue:
OMG that's gorgeous! How on earth did you pull that off?! Is it just a finish that you polish off?

·
Registered
484 Posts
The Chrome can be removed also, it's actually flush and surprisingly tidy with the rest of the light underneath

That's the picture I was looking for. I thought i saw a close up of your car missing the chrome strips. But I think I've also seen it with the earlier tail lights in some pics. Or am I wrong? But yeah that looks sweet. Smooth. Linear.

I'm stealing er borrowing this idea.

Heat gun would probably help the process I presume. Or a hair drier since I'm poor ;)

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,482 Posts
I've gone back and forth, I removed the original ones waaay back probably about the time I joined TCCoA and put them back on in 2012(when I wrote up the reverse light restoration article) and again removed them shortly after due to the chrome peeling off.

I had debadged 89 XR7 tails VERY briefly, I hated how they looked though.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
IMHO I find the chrome style to be more classy while the the previous version was more sporty. I was disappointed after buying a 93 and then seeing all of the newer ones. I was also disappointed to find that there existed V-8's after noticing all of the ones that had duel exhaust wile I was stuck with the V-6. I knew about Thunderbird Supercoupes and that the Fox body Cougars had 5.0's but not the MN-12s. Anyway, I'm so much happier with my current Cougar and its setup.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've gone back and forth, I removed the original ones waaay back probably about the time I joined TCCoA and put them back on in 2012(when I wrote up the reverse light restoration article) and again removed them shortly after due to the chrome peeling off.

I had debadged 89 XR7 tails VERY briefly, I hated how they looked though.

So I'm not nuts. I was sure it's seen the car at least three ways. Original tails. Late model tails with chrome and and late model tails without. I'm still kinda intrigiged by the idea of painting the chrome less area monochrome to match the the body. On the DTR cars the chrome really pops against the burgundy paint. I've never been able to decide if I like it. Kinda like the love hate relationship with the red back up up light lenses. Which I like both ways. I have a extra set of tails so I'll at least try popping the chrome off. That leaves a impression where the chrome used to be and there's no strobe stripes. Which is another reason I'm thinking the area might look good body color. It might also visually lighten up the back of the car by making the whole panel look wider and thinner. One way to find out. One way to try it might be to pull the chrome mask off the light and apply a film to the now chrome less reflector area and paint that. If it looks like crap you could just peel the film off and have the full height tail lights minus the chrome with no harm done.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
So I'm not nuts. I was sure it's seen the car at least three ways. Original tails. Late model tails with chrome and and late model tails without..
The taillights in that picture are 1989-1993, so, not the original ones. "Late model," as you put it, were from 1994-1997.

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
The taillights in that picture are 1989-1993, so, not the original ones. "Late model," as you put it, were from 1994-1997.
Actually the tail lights in that picture were only on 89/90 XR7s. The base 89/90 Cougar had a silver strip along the bottom, and then the 91-93 style had a red strip in the center where the emblems were attached.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts