TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found my second leak point while redoing the interior of the cougar, it is the driver's side 1/4 window, the seal must have been broken a loooong while back. I already planned on replacing both windows because the outer trim is dry-rotted beyond belief. Finding the right stuff to re-seal the windows was a bear, but I think I may have finally found the closest thing to what was used at the Lorain plant. This:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/3M-Window-Weld-black-super-fast-urethane/_/N-25y6?itemIdentifier=464397_0_0_

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
DO NOT USE THAT! If you urethane those windows in, they will never come out again. The stuff you want is butyl tape, and can be found at advance auto parts.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Butyl tape seems to be tough and not very pliable. Whenever I pull cougar 1/4 windows off it's like this sticky stringy black paste that seems to have sealed the windows up from the factory, doesn't seem like butyl tape. I'm confused. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
the sticky gooey stringy stuff is butyl tape.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah so I see, took a look in the service manual, anyone know the interchange # for PN: 29904?

I noticed it's foam core butyl tape, that would explain why normal butyl is so resistant to being compressed, the foam compresses and expands and the butyl covering seals everything up.

Still wondering if it's worth using the urethane since I rarely plan on removing the glass again lol.

Update: Found this on sccoa - http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?87297-Replacing-rear-quarter-window-Whats-that-black-goo-stuff-Do-I-need-more&highlight=replacing+window

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is that tape the same stuff used to hold the windshield in? Mine is leaking and has a lot of wind noise at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that tape the same stuff used to hold the windshield in? Mine is leaking and has a lot of wind noise at freeway speeds.
Noooooooo! If you used butyl tape for your windshield it wouldn't be there very long lol. You need a urethane sealant like 3M Window-Weld that comes in a tube, that is what is used for the windshield and rear window

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ah ok! I was just wondering as I was thinking it was a type of urethane sealant.

·
Registered
892 Posts
So how did these windows turn out. The moulding around my windows look like crap. I sanded them and painted them. But they are pitted so bad. I would like to see some pics of your new windows.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Noooooooo! If you used butyl tape for your windshield it wouldn't be there very long lol. You need a urethane sealant like 3M Window-Weld that comes in a tube, that is what is used for the windshield and rear window
windshields used to be held in with butyl tape, actually almost everything from the early 80's and down was either a rubber gasket or butyl tape.

Now the only thing I use butyl tape for is to remove a pilot bearing!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The windows turned out real well, much better than my originals, no leaks at all now, ill get pics soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts