TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know I've been parting out my car. Thread. I need to get it out of my driveway soon. My question to those that have done this before:
What should I keep? Meaning what parts have you wished you had when something broke? From experience what has been important to have as a spare? Those kind of things.
- Some things I've been thinking of holding onto: Rear LCAs; Intake; Calipers.

·
Super Moderator
17,172 Posts
I wouldn't hold onto anything listed unless you recently replaced them, the intake definitely no if it has the plastic crossover. Really, few mechanical wear parts I'd hold onto since they can all be replaced with new for not much money. I hoard the more body specific stuff that can be difficult to locate in a jam in undamaged condition. I'd keep the taillights, header panel, quarter windows, moonroof assemby(if it has one and worked), auto climate control parts like the heater controls and blower motor controller, and if it has any options your new car doesn't have(autolamp maybe) snag those components as well. If it were a Tbird I'd say keep all the black dash bezels, but since they were color coordinated in Cougars and you have a different color they probably aren't worth holding onto for your own backup. Wouldn't hurt to keep the front exhaust section either if the cats are in tact, either as backup if you plan on keeping stock exhaust or to sell for scrap.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The rear LCA's aren't anything special unless you installed Mark VIII units. Otherwise they're just steel.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If you want to be a real packrat, here are things to consider keeping as there aren't many (any) cost effective aftermarket replacement parts available. I kept all of these things as race spares.

Tbird specific bits I'd keep as spares: rear UCAs, bolts for rear UCA/LCA (if not rusted out), rear/front calipers (in case you need a quick swap or core).

Stuff to consider keeping and rebuilding at your own pace:
fuel pump assembly (can reuse as is or swap with a higher GPL pump as needed

Rear LCAs: you can do a bushing replacement at your own pace.

Rear diff (resellable w/ axles to someone doing a Factory 5 cobra IRS setup or V8 Miata) or just upgrade as your time allows.

Front Spindles + Rear Hubs: consider keeping and rebuilding with mustang lug conversion if you ever decide to go that route to get cheaper 17s.

·
Super Moderator
17,172 Posts
I agree with rear spindles in that scenario, but the fronts? There's only one nut to remove for the front hub conversion, and the hubs just slide off, compare that to removing the upper and lower ball joints, sway bar links, and ABS sensor(if applicable) to get the whole spindle off. And even if you do do that and there's no way in hell you're torquing that nut to 250 ft/lbs with it detached from a car for preassembly.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info, thanks. "torquing that nut to 250 ft/lbs with it detached from a car" yeah right....

As for moving options over, what's needed to add auto headlights & change the HVAC to auto controls?

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
Good info, thanks. "torquing that nut to 250 ft/lbs with it detached from a car" yeah right....

As for moving options over, what's needed to add auto headlights & change the HVAC to auto controls?
It's a harness change; not completely sure if it's the dash only. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts