TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an intermittant problem with the Cougar. It will start when it is cold, but after using the A/C, etc and it is hot, it won't start. The battery seems to just be under the amperage to bump the starter. Once the car has cooled down or I get a booster jump from another car, it starts right up.

I have also noticed that he charging gauge will sometimes be straight at normal but other times it will be off the right some as it should be.

I tested the battery and it is good, swapped the battery from the the Town Car and does the same thing, but the battery from the Cougar in the Town Car works perfect.

I can't tell if this is an alternator problem or what. Did not find much on the internet for what might cause this.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Probably a starter going bad. Replace it now before it leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably a starter going bad. Replace it now before it leaves you stranded.
Starter???? I would never have thought that. Any way to test the starter? Because if it's intermittent, taking to Autozone would not prove much unless it happens to go bad while they test it.

Interesting.

Well, the more I think if it, all it does is make a click sound, not like when a battery goes bad. So, yeah, the sound would be the solenoid not turning the motor.

Thanks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Also, it could be the wire from the batt to the starter. I had to replace mine, there was some corrosion and it did a similar thing to me. Just for FYI here is the best way to test batt & alternator. Hook a voltmeter to the batt terminals and position so you can sit in the drivers seat and see the meter. Charged batt = 12.5v turn the key, it should not drop more than a volt while cranking. If it does you have a dead cell. Once started the voltage should be at 14.4v, if not the alternator is not charging.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Corroded like this?

Tested the battery at dead start and running. Found 12.5+ v and after startup, 14.5+. Shut it off and watched as it drained back down the 12.99 and I got bored of watching it.

Thanks Kidd7.

The car no longer cranks, per say. After replacing the injectors, just a bump from the key and it starts right up,

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
That looks pretty bad. Honestly that's probably all surface corrosion. Mine was badly corroded down by the starter and there wasn't enough slack to cut a section out. Glad she's running again.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks pretty bad. Honestly that's probably all surface corrosion. Mine was badly corroded down by the starter and there wasn't enough slack to cut a section out. Glad she's running again.
Well, it still has the issue of not starting sometimes and I have to bump the key a time or two, sometimes 4 or 5 times and then it just starts.

Time to trade it in on a Lincoln MKS....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
*update*

The issue with the car not starting turned out to be a wire under the steering column that was a poor quality splice. The previous owner 20 years ago had an alarm system in the car and it was removed. When they removed the main line to the key, under the steering column, they did a splice job that would make a non-auto person cringe.

After looking at a 2005 Lincoln Conti and almost ready to buy it, but turned out to have rust cancer under the car, the wife said "see if a mechanic can find the problem with Cougar starting and if they can find the issue and resolve it, we will just keep the Cougar.

Car starts every time now.

Thanks all for your suggestions and thoughts on the issue with the car not starting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts