TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on doing the J-Mod this weekend however; from my research on the forums (very helpful) I have a hunch that something may have already been done.

From what I have read one of the main reasons for doing the JMOD to achieve firmer/quicker shifts. especially the 1-2 shift, which most say is alot firmer. I do not know how a stock unmodified T-Bird would handle the 1-2 shift, but mine seems to be pretty firm already under normal acceleration, and under heavy acceleration I can, most times, chirp the tire(s). The 2-3 shift seems to be fairly mellow and the TC lockup from thrid is pretty mellow.

Once I remove the VB, is there any way to identify if a shift kit has been added? I assume that I would be able to tell the JMOD by looking at the accumulators and the springs, but a shift kit I am not sure about. The stock trans pan is still present, although that doesn't rule out any modifications.

Just wondering if there are any indicators that something may have been done to the trans in it's past.

Thanks in advance for any bits of wisdom.

Jim

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
IIRC, the factory 1-2 accumulator spring is often broken causing hard 1-2 shifts. Since you mention that all the other shifts are mild, I would guess that this is the case with yours.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
:zwthstpd: It sounds like you have a broken 1-2 accumulator spring, which is pretty common.

-Rod

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast replies tinman_72 and racecougar.
I wasn't aware of that and would be willing to be that is the cause as well. Is that what I should expect for shift firmness from a mild JMOD??

Thanks Again.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
shadowhunter said:
Is that what I should expect for shift firmness from a mild JMOD??

Thanks Again.
It's hard to tell without riding in the car and experiencing the shift, but it would probably be similar.

-Rod

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
I have ridden in a car with the broken 1-2 spring, and I'll say that the mild J-Mod is similar to that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts